Thread: Self activating HORNS

Default Self activating HORNS

My air horns are part of the alarm system, they have gone off twice in the last week all by their self. It's always fun to be a few sites down and have to run back to your own coach when you realize the idiot blowing the horn in the park is you.

Featherlite tells me the horns are part of the keypad/key fob, keyless entry system and the only way to stop it is disconnect the wires to the horn solenoid. This is not an acceptable solution because you loose the air horns completely.
    Featherlite said it could be anyone of the door/bay switches going bad or the key fob/keypad going bad. That could take days if not weeks to find.
    Does anyone know what wires to disconnect for just the horn and where to find the alarm module? Featherlite tells me it part of the FORD keyless entry system installed on the bus.

Chuck
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

That sounds like BS to me. I can't imagine them hooked to the alarm system. Even if they are, the alarm signal and horn switch signal should go through diodes. It sure doesn't seem like a hard mistake to correct. Featherlights ship with the electrical drawings. If you still have them, it should be an easy thing to find.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Hi Gil, Happy Thanksgiving:

Unfortunately the coach came without the (Black book) electrical drawings. Keyless entry definitely does sound the horns. Can’t imagine there isn’t a wire or two designated to the horn relay that I could disconnect.

Chuck
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide

Look at the relay. It's pretty easy to see extra wires. The Ford system was installed by Prevost. Check the Prevost drawings. Prevost may have wired it to the horn and Featherlight tied the air horn into electric horn. If so, easy fix.

Gil and Durlene

Gil:
    I am good at a lot of things, but electrical and electrical drawings are defiantly my week points. From the attached drawings I THINK I know what my problem is.

The wife clarified for me that, I was leaving in the morning and locking the door with the key pad from outside. Later in the morning she was using the switch on the dash to unlock the door, as soon as she open the door the alarm went off.

If (and that's a big IF) I am reading the drawings correctly, using the drivers door switch on the dash to unlock the door is NOT DISARMING the alarm that was set by locking from the outside with the key pad. Pg 12.1

Another question while looking at the drawings is Pg 4.1 appears when using the key pad and or key fob the keyless module also disconnects the Master switch power on the dash???

Sorry if these are dumb questions, the more I try to figure it out, the more I get confused.

Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide

How about running power to that solenoid from a button with a new source?
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

You are definitely correct that the alarm system must be unlocked with the fob or keypad. I'll have to look at the master disconnect. Great idea, but one I never considered. It would seem strange on a 99 shell given I don't recall a solenoid activated disconnect on the chassis side.

Gil and Durlene