Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nitrogen

Default Nitrogen

1. Better air pressure retention is the main reason to use nitrogen. The single biggest reason for tire failure is lack of maintenance of tire pressure. Oxygen in compressed air can permeate the tire wall reducing tire pressure. With nitrogen, diffusion is 30 to 40 percent slower than oxygen. As a result, nitrogen maintains tire pressure longer than ambient air.

2. Enhanced fuel economy. By maintaining tire pressure will boost fuel economy. Nitrogen disperses heat more quickly than ambient air. By restraining the heat in the tire and reducing rolling resistance, you get better fuel economy.

3. Longer tread life. With quicker heat dispersion, you get a cooler running tire which helps extend tread life and reduce tire failure. Nitrogen also reduces oxidation which can not only lead to tread separation and belt failure but, when combined with moisture, corrode rims. Moisture can result in rust flakes that can fall into the valve stem, block the valve and cause under-pressurization. It can even cause the valve stem itself to rust.

4. Slows chemical aging. Filling a tire with nitrogen also significantly slows the chemical aging process of the tire’s rubber components. This leads to fewer catastrophic failures like ka-boom blowouts. Slower aging lengthens tire core life.

I put it in my tires but I have a bottle that I use for industrial laser operation. Is it worth $64.00 to do a bus, maybe.

See you all at POG III
    Mike & Dee

lewpopp Guest

Joe,

Did you say that there would be no FLUCUATIONS in pressure or no FLATULATIONS?

Uncle Harry... What church does he go to that hands out brochures on tire pressures?

Another thing....The word is consider, not concider. When you have a painful part of your body, you soat it in cider.

Lew

Default Nitrogen in Tires

I figured I might as well throw something into the mix about Nitrogen in Tires.

I found this web site about the Nitrogen Tire Subject. While this site is based on getting tire dealers to sell the Nitrogen mix, it has lots of answers to some of the questions that have come up.

http://www.nitrogendirect.com/index.html

Gary S.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I called the 800 # for michilen tires today and after takling with a tech for some time she mentioned that the company provides, in the employee parking lot, free of charge for all employees, a nitrogen filling station for everyones tires on their personal cars. Said it went in last fall.

Tried to pin her down on an official comment from the manufacturer that nitrogen will extend expected lifespan for applications such as ours where they get old before used up.

Although very insistant it MIGHT and should, they are still not willing to extend that 6yr warrenty, YET

She did say the manufacturer does recomend it over, plain old air

1 little glitch to this,the current availability/convienience. Everything else about it is a plus. I'm calling around doing a little reserch to see how available it is.

Next time we are through Scottsborro I'm doing it regardless, it will be a fun and informative experiment.

Mike

Are you running tire moniters? If not, stick one of your tires with a pressure guage when you stop while out on a hot day out on the interstate. Ours grow from 100psi cold to around 125 running. Check them on a COLD morning.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 04-02-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Joe, I know you are an honest guy so I am going to make an offer.

If your nitrogen filled tires do not heat up as those filled with compressed air, I buy you and Deb dinner. But if they do....you and Deb buy me and Di dinner.

And the winner gets to be called A2.

I want a piece of this action, so step up Joe, no heat equals dinner paid by Jon, Di, Nancy and I! Anyone else, this will be fun....

BTW,

The reason the use of nitrogen is employed in places such as aviation is because in some cases the pressure is higher than typical compressor output, such as struts or certain tires, but also because the nitrogen is moisture free, which is its real advantage.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

All I can think is , what am I reading about all the info Im seeing that I'm mabye misinturpiting? Dispurses heat more quickly I would think will show up in a lesser increase? Well Mike and Dee can answer this by doing a manual test with a pressure guage and we can compare it with what I already know I get off our sensers.

If that doesn't happen we'll wait till I switch and compare.

Your wife comming with you to Wis. this summer?

If not, this year we will be in Fla. from X-mas till the end of Feb. Do you do that Liberty rally every year?

If all else fails who knows we could just be your next new neighbors

Tom, quite the instagater you are. Stop it
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 04-02-2007 at 09:42 PM.

Petervs Guest

When Prevost sells the coach chassis what is in the tires? They always do everything the very best first class way, right?

I will bet dinner that they sell em with air in the tires.

As for the air being drier, well, as noted in a previous post on the Bendix air dryers we have on the coaches, I sold industrial air dryers for many years. The object of those is to remove the moisture. You get the air down to a dewpoint of -100 degrees F, which is 1 part per million, same as nitrogen.

The air liquefaction companies want to sell nitrogen, not air dryers because the nitrogen costs 1000 times as much. The sales pitch on the interne ( and in tire stores) is just trying to part you from your money, you can not and must not believe everything you read on the internet ( except this of course!).

Air is 78% nitrogen, a nitrogen molecule has a molecular weight of 28, an Oxygen molecule has a molecular weight of 32. Oxygen is not smaller and does not permeate more. Both are gases that follow Boyle's Law :
    which states that:

For a fixed mass of ideal gas at fixed temperature, the product of pressure and volume is a constant.

The tire contains a fixed amount of gas, and the temperature will change from rolling friction. The volume can not change very much (unless your tire has a bubble on the side) so the pressure WILL rise with temperature.

Like Scotty said to Captain Kirk " Ya cannot change the laws of Physics, captain!"

Now can we please throw out all this Nitrogen in tires nonsense and get back to burning diesel?

Thanks a bunch Peter....I think you just cost me a free dinner.