Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Nitrogen

Quote Originally Posted by JIM CHALOUPKA View Post
    I am tending to side with Jon on this topic. I feel if the Nitrogen is available to you at little to no cost then it does have some benefits. If you are conscientious in tire maintenance, which is paramount to safety, then you don't need it. Examine your tires and check pressure frequently, take pains and do not let water into tires when mounting and use the driest air available when inflating.

To fill a tire with Nitrogen deflate it to about 50% and bring it up to pressure with the nitrogen. Repeat this process and you will have for practical purposes a tire filled with Nitrogen.

Some Nitrogen facts: Air is composed of about 80% Nitrogen anyway. Nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen molecules.

QUESTION FOR THOUGHT:
    It is claimed that tire pressure from Nitrogen is more stable, because it excludes moisture and the nitrogen molecules do not permeate through the rubber as does the Oxygen. If so then if the Oxygen leaks out and the Nitrogen remains then how long before you have a tire filled with pure Nitrogen just from repeated filling.

JIM
    You gotta give up on this one Joe. I'm still on Jon's side!

We spend lots of extra time in Davey's Locker trying to rid our body's of nitrogen before we surface. I think nitrogen is a detrement to mankind. Besides I think it makes you talk funny.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Orren Zook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hhoppe View Post
    We spend lots of extra time in Davey's Locker trying to rid our body's of nitrogen before we surface. I think nitrogen is a detrement to mankind. Besides I think it makes you talk funny.
    I thought that was helium....

I thought that was model airplane glue.

Orren: I think your correct on helium making you talk funny, but Nitrogen is our problem in diving. It is the reason we cannot fly for twenty four hours after diving amongst other major problems.
    Why Jon is still sniffing airplane glue is anybody's guess.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

lewpopp Guest

Harry, what we're worried about is what makes you think funny, not talk funny. Keep up the good posts. always great to hear your print erery so often.

Stop by in florida and pick up my dented panels. My coach would look nude for a while.

utahcamera Guest

Joe is going to settle this once and for all by buying me a Happy Meal.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Well that article confirmed our results, no big difference.

What I did learn is cooler tire temps. do not automatically translate into a lesser pressure increase.