Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nitrogen

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Default Nitrogen

The next time we will be through Scottsborro Al., and thats usually a few times a year, we will have our tires filled with nitrogen.

Debs brother Harry is with us this weekend passing through with a load to Iowa. He mentioned that the tire shop back home, Meteor Express Scottsborro, now is filling all the company tractors with it and offers the service to others for 8 bucks a wheel.

I think we are going to see a very rapid increase, in a very short period of time, of more tire shops offering this.

Default Nitro

Joe,

whats the advantage? Inquiring minds want to know!

Just out of curiosity.....Do they pull a vacuum to evacuate all the nasty air before filling with pure nitrogen?

Do you carry a spare bottle of nitrogen to adjust the pressure when you go from warm temperatures to cold temperatures?

I'm certain that to extract money from your pocket and insert it in theirs a whole list of reasons are provided. Please share them.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I do not know how they install it but there will be no change in tire pressure due to change in ambient temp. the primary reason for doing it in the first place.

I'll find out more but you know as well as I that you can't vaccume out the tire without breaking the bead so I don't know how they deal with that issue.

Correctly done there will be no more fluctuations in tire pressures for any reason.

For that price it is worth a try, I've got the moniters so I'll know right off if it works.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 04-01-2007 at 10:45 AM.

This was just recently on our local news. Here is the video link, showing how it is done.

http://www.wyff4.com/video/11245948/detail.html

There is another article on the same website that states the tire pressure will remain the same, regardless of temperature change. Using more nitrogen (evidently there is already quite a bit of nitrogen in our regular tires) is supposed to lighten the tires by 3-4 pounds, improve the longevity of the tire, increase your gas mileage and the cost per car tire is $5.00 a tire and takes 5-10 minutes.

Of course in the south they are playing the NASCAR card, claiming that if NASCAR uses it then it must be golden

Talking Life Is A Gas:

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Just out of curiosity.....Do they pull a vacuum to evacuate all the nasty air before filling with pure nitrogen?

Do you carry a spare bottle of nitrogen to adjust the pressure when you go from warm temperatures to cold temperatures?

I'm certain that to extract money from your pocket and insert it in theirs a whole list of reasons are provided. Please share them.
    I am tending to side with Jon on this topic. I feel if the Nitrogen is available to you at little to no cost then it does have some benefits. If you are conscientious in tire maintenance, which is paramount to safety, then you don't need it. Examine your tires and check pressure frequently, take pains and do not let water into tires when mounting and use the driest air available when inflating.

To fill a tire with Nitrogen deflate it to about 50% and bring it up to pressure with the nitrogen. Repeat this process and you will have for practical purposes a tire filled with Nitrogen.

Some Nitrogen facts: Air is composed of about 80% Nitrogen anyway. Nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen molecules.

QUESTION FOR THOUGHT:
    It is claimed that tire pressure from Nitrogen is more stable, because it excludes moisture and the nitrogen molecules do not permeate through the rubber as does the Oxygen. If so then if the Oxygen leaks out and the Nitrogen remains then how long before you have a tire filled with pure Nitrogen just from repeated filling.

JIM

dalej Guest

This is like science class......I thought air was CO2 (carbon 1 part oxygen 2 parts)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by dalej View Post
    This is like science class......I thought air was CO2 (carbon 1 part oxygen 2 parts)
    There's more to it than that:
    http://mistupid.com/chemistry/aircomp.htm

JIM

PS : Dale, you start plowing yet?

If the selling point is that the pressure does not change with temperature changes then someone is lying.

Your tires are filled mostly with nitrogen right now. Just for the sake of a ridiculous discussion lets presume when the tire pressure goes down, the reason is because the tiny pesky oxygen atoms are escaping, but the nitrogen atoms stay behind. Well after you have topped off your tire pressure a few times you theoretically have a higher concentration of nitrogen than ever before because only the oxygen has escaped and since that is what is happening, a four or five year old tire will never need pressure adjustments because the concentration of nitrogen is so high it has gotten to the point it would be if it was filled with nitrogen from the start.

As a gas heats up, it expands. Since it is contained in a finite amount of space instead of expanding the pressure increases. Saying nitrogen will not expand with temperature changes is hooey.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

As I mentioned earlier I thought it would be an inexpensive experiment concidering the cost.

Now, concidering the wide range of opinion, that experiment has become even more curious and interesting to me.

Mabye I will test with the tag only? We have those wireless pressure sensors and can get real time pressures for the experiment.

Uncle Harry just got back from church and said that they gave out a bruchure about the process and says that they claim its the TEMP. change of the tire, or lack there of, that is of bennifit.The tires run cooler at all ambient temps. Also added that they claim the pure nitrogen does not leak out the same. Says he dosen't remember reading anything about pressure but will get another brochure.

Jon seems like this confirms your doubt about the pressure issue but the added benefits of lowered opporating temp and reduced loss of air over time still makes it deseriable for enough people to see it being done?

Dale this is way better than Science class, the medium is a great big bus

I'm thinking there has to be something to this, very curious.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 04-01-2007 at 06:50 PM.