Thread: Big wheelbase vs. small campground

Default Big wheelbase vs. small campground

Prospective Prevost purchaser here with 10 years of 45' Class A experience. My newbie question may seem a bit odd but I'll give it a shot anyway.

The wheelbase on the X chassis is close to 4 feet longer than my Spartan chassis, which no doubt is one of the many reasons it offers a superior ride. My wife and I tend to shy away from resort parks in favor of more remote campgrounds, even State Parks, as long as they state "big rig friendly" and list sites that accommodate 45 footers. Presumably many, if not most, POG members made the transition from production RVs to Prevost. Did you find it necessary to alter campground planning?

Yes, we altered ours. We had a 40 footer with shorter wheel base and there are several parks and state parks that were very tight for us. We have not been back to any of them in the Prevost. Also, the paint on the CC is so nice and we are trying to keep it that way. In many parks, or state parks, the trees are too close to the pad entrance. In the all white 40 footer, it was not that bad to slightly drag through the smaller light weigh branches and leaves. There is no way that I would do that in the CC.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

That's one reason why I have an XL40. It fits in all the service bays in our local shop, it is easier to put in a tight space, it is quicker going down the road, I can go to Jekyll Island and fit in a number of spots, among others.

I have had 40+' long coaches and don't need the extra space let alone the limitations...

We have spent the last 4 months staying at regular and State Campgrounds North to South with no major problems. One that we did have a problem with was in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (Brimley) it wasn't the size, it was being on the grass and weight. Plus, it was raining. We stick to only ones that say big rigs with pull thru and 50 AMP service. Now Mammoth Caves and couple of others are to narrow. We found Federal parks are just starting to upgrade for larger Coaches. If were going to stay in an area for a while, we first stay in one that we know that we fit, then scout the area out and move.
    What we ran into was everyone wanted to come look at the Coach, it becomes the talk of the smaller mom and pop campgrounds. We had folks asking to take pictures, giving us nothing but complements. One guy almost hit us on I75 trying to give us a thumbs up. Even in Truck stops the same thing also Rest Areas. Just our experience others maybe different.
    2005 Royale
    2020 Jeep Trailhawk Toad

We've never a problem. But I do check the CG first. If they have length restrictions then we don't challenge them. Many Corps of Engineers CGs have huge spaces.

My bigger concern is trees and how level the sites are.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Gil's comment on level is spot on. Many of the places that we visit have pads with excessive slope (they look flat and the park host says they are flat but they are not!). The 5th wheels have no issues here. In the Winnebago, we would put wood blocks under the jacks if we had to. The Prevost does not have near the leveling travel of the Class A coaches with hydraulic jacks. And it looks funny to have an awesome old coach parked up on 3 2x10's just to get close. That said, I do carry several different lengths of 2x10's that I can stack in various ways to create ramps. I have them all pre-drilled so I can stack them and drop recessed dowels in them to hold them where I put them. Nothing worse that driving up on something and spitting it out the other end. Watched a guy do that three times the other day in Grapevine Texas. If we like a park, we not the spaces that work for us and then request them when making reservations. If they are not available, we do not go there.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament