Thread: Hitch Receiver 2" but Blue Ox Apollo Tow-bar is 2.5"

Default Hitch Receiver 2" but Blue Ox Apollo Tow-bar is 2.5"

Hello All,

Purchasing a 09 Millennium and the salesman says has a 2" hitch receiver rated at 20,000 lbs. I thought 20K (Class V) would or should be 2.5" receiver. Can anyone confirm?

Will be towing an F350 with a camper mounted on the back which has a total weight of 11,000 lbs. My plan is/was to order the Blue Ox Apollo tow-bar which is rated at 15,000 which has a 2.5" shank.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    John

I'm not a tow wizard, but a quick search shows me that a 2" hitch is only rated to 10k lbs.
    The 2.5" hitch is rated to 14.5k lbs.
    So i think I'll call "B_llSh!t" on the salesman. But if that surprises you, i've got a bridge to sell.

Sounds like you need to go with the 2.5" shank.
    Here's a good reference online. https://www.weigh-safe.com/towing-sa...ferent-classes
    Joe & Diane Hoffman
    Prior coach: 2001 Marathon H3-45
    Sold the coach.
    For details: https://intelopment.wix.com/prevost/

I just am wondering however why you need to tow an F350. Wow, quite the rig behind the rig. Is this your Mancave when you need more space while boondocking?

John

Prevost only provides a 2 inch hitch and it's rated at 20k. Prevost bumped it up to 20k from 10k about 20 years ago. The salesman is correct.

E Trailer should have what you want. If not Hitch Pro in Eugene OR can make it.

Later
    bv

Bernie & Deborah
    2019 Marathon X3 #1291
    2019 Intech Stacker

So it is confirmed that it's a 2" receiver and the Blue Ox Apollo is 2.5 rated at 15K. All other tow-bars I have found so far are rated at 10K but do have a 2" shank. So either I take a chance and use a 10k at 2" or change the receiver on the coach to a 2.5". Unless someone knows of a 12k or better at 2".

Since we will be traveling out west in the mountains, I expect to be changing the receiver is the proper choice.

Why the F350? We have been full time since 1998 and have been all over our beautiful country while towing various minivans. The 4x4 truck has a camper on top so we can extend our reach by doing a little off roading or overlanding as it's called.

If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions, I would love to hear it.

Thanks!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Becki&John View Post
    So it is confirmed that it's a 2" receiver and the Blue Ox Apollo is 2.5 rated at 15K. All other tow-bars I have found so far are rated at 10K but do have a 2" shank. So either I take a chance and use a 10k at 2" or change the receiver on the coach to a 2.5". Unless someone knows of a 12k or better at 2".

Since we will be traveling out west in the mountains, I expect to be changing the receiver is the proper choice.

Why the F350? We have been full time since 1998 and have been all over our beautiful country while towing various minivans. The 4x4 truck has a camper on top so we can extend our reach by doing a little off roading or overlanding as it's called.

If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions, I would love to hear it.

Thanks!
    John
    Hey John

Total novice at towing a Ford pickup, I assume you simply put the transfer case in neutral and flat tow it. What else is involved, cost, etc?

Fred

I'm in the same boat. Prevost 20K hitch with only a 2" receiver. Looked everywhere and called Hitch Pro in Eugene, OR: highest 2" shank is rated at 17K lbs. 2.5" shanks go to 20K lbs.

Strange that Prevost would install a 2" receiver for a 20K hitch.

I'm planning to tow a 26' stacker, max load 19,800.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    I'm in the same boat. Prevost 20K hitch with only a 2" receiver. Looked everywhere and called Hitch Pro in Eugene, OR: highest 2" shank is rated at 17K lbs. 2.5" shanks go to 20K lbs.

Strange that Prevost would install a 2" receiver for a 20K hitch.

I'm planning to tow a 26' stacker, max load 19,800.
    Hi - Any update on what you had to do to tow the stacker with the 2" receiver? Thanks!