Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engine Cooling Fan Clutch

That's a medium tension spring and bracket that keeps the idler pulley with tension if the belt tension bellows looses air on the cerpentine belt for the radiator fan.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Camper View Post
    That's a medium tension spring and bracket that keeps the idler pulley with tension if the belt tension bellows looses air on the serpentine belt for the radiator fan.
    If the one bellows loses air wouldn't the other also and then you wouldn't have rotation of the 90 degree gear box thus no rotation of fan. Am i missing something?
    George and Joan
    1998 Royale Aug 2019
    Goldsboro NC
    Just added a 2022 Ford King Ranch

So Johnny and Kevin worked with me at the Prevost show. They confirmed that the clutch was bad and installed a new one while parked at the show. Cant say enough good things about the thoughtful and caring way that Johnny worked on the coach.

During the install we found an exhaust leak at the discharge flange of the turbo. Kevin found some parts and Johnny tried to put them in the next day. Unfortunately, the elbow would not quite mate up with the existing flange. Apparently there are three sections of piping between the turb aond muffler. It is possible that one of them is the wrong one and that led to the failure. Parts were not readily available so Kevin found some heavy duty flex and Johnny installed it as the show as well.

After the show we drove up to Winter Garden and spent 8 great nights there. Even though they were booked, they managed to squeeze us in over the days and we replaced coolant hosed, sight glass, coolant level sensor, flushed the full system and put in Joes Green stuff and ... fixed a leaking fitting on the transmission cooler hose.

Anthony, Dave, Johnny, Mike, Orlando, Eugene, Michelle and others were so great we really did not want to leave. But the weather broke in Texas so off we sent.

Love being part of the Prevost Family and looking forward to the show next year.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Glad to hear that Mark. I'm curious how many different choices of coolant does prevo offer???
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Still lost on this spring and where it is to keep tension. Would love a picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgew View Post
    If the one bellows loses air wouldn't the other also and then you wouldn't have rotation of the 90 degree gear box thus no rotation of fan. Am i missing something?
    George and Joan
    1998 Royale Aug 2019
    Goldsboro NC
    Just added a 2022 Ford King Ranch

It is attached to a bracket that is attached to the idler pulley that the cerpentine belt for the fan rides over the top of. In the event of a failure u can strap tight the other tripple belt driving off the crank in a number of different ways. Really no way to tension that fan belt like that.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 02-22-2021 at 05:44 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

IMG_20210302_134230208_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210302_152059735_HDR.jpg

Here is the backup spring and bracket for the cerpentine fan belt.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Is that spring just a certain year range thing, or was it OEM on all those type fan drives? If so, mine is MIA

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Billy u know how prevo is. Look in the manual it should be there if it came on the chassis. Or call Elgin.

Here is the prevo part numbers.

Bracket 052477

Spring 502247
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 03-03-2021 at 08:22 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Yep, a common failure item. I discovered broken ones on 3 buses I inspected in just that last few months. When broken, the fan can rest against the radiator shroud when the belt bags deflate.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion