Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Cooling Fan Clutch

Default Engine Cooling Fan Clutch

I had a problem with my engine cooling fan clutch not going into the high mode and had it replaced at the Prevost Car facility in Wintergarden, Florida on the way to Naples last year and as of right now it has between 1500 and 2000 miles on it and not quite a year since the installation.
    I just today got the recall letter on the cooling fan clutches sold by Prevost Car during that time period and mine is one of the part numbers listed. I can't see the serial number to positively identify it. While looking for the serial number I moved the fan blades and found the clutch to be to be obviously dragging. The blades can be moved but the fan does not spin free. I would advise anyone that may be affected to check it closely.
    Last edited by JCarrollJr; 10-03-2020 at 09:29 PM.
    John and Judy Carroll
    1999 XLV Country Coach
    450 GC "Grande Center"
    2001 Jeep XJ, American Racing Mags

Hey John I was shown the same letter yesterday. Let me add.

Not all of the prevo numbers get recalled only specific hubs between certain manufacturers serial numbers and those numbers r marked on a face thats sandwiched to the bracket. The only way to read the manufacturers number is to remove it. Short of that all u can do is loosen the belt and spin um.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 10-03-2020 at 09:58 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Yep, and I'm sure you remember that you detected that this one may have a problem. I'm wondering if Prevost in Wintergarden may have the S/N in their records. I doubt it, but possible. Just FYI, I drove it to Chattanooga to the radio shop and back yesterday and I thought it drove good before, and it did, you did the job on it but it now is absolutely unbelievable. Obviously like a zero miles new one. Also, it's been sitting since you finished it and the suspension hasn't leaked down any at all. Not one PSI. Job well done!! Headed to Naples 11/1. When are you heading to the Keys?
    John and Judy Carroll
    1999 XLV Country Coach
    450 GC "Grande Center"
    2001 Jeep XJ, American Racing Mags

It is so incredibly disappointing that Prevost cant seem to figure this out. As you recall, I have had multiple clutches installed in less than two years. Some of them were bad out of the box, some failed at Prevost during the test drive and some failed after a few miles. I thought that I finally got a good one...no issues for 2000 miles. BUT darn if it did not start making noise when I left Kerrville a couple of days ago. A pre-trip spin came up with a slight rubbing noise. By the time I got it home, the clutch was binding enough that it can no longer "idle" when first started cold.

I will be calling Prevost Fort Worth later this week ... I am sure they will be over joyed to see me again.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

HI joe i have a question. their was a picture showing the small spring at the belt idler to support the idler if the mini bag fails. i read this and this morning ckd and mine was missing. is it something i need from prevo. or something i can get at the hardware. thanks terry.
    99 marathon xlv 45 #547 red ram 4x4

Possibly both Terry but I'm sure it's available from Prevo. There is a machine screw holing it in be sure its not gouging out the ac compressor case like the one I was looking at. If it is find another way to fasten it so it doesn't do that. I used zip ties on Pierre's I should ask him to go take a peek and see how that's doing. Its not good when u start crashing your test pilots u know.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Thank you for the quick info. i do not see a screw. im sure it was there when i changed the belt. I found a spring. one longer @ ace hardware. im going to cut it down. do you know the tension it should have ? just touching or ? and i will tie it. thank you.

Joe and all,

I looked about a week ago and it looked good. This post prompted me to go out and check again. Zip ties are holding up well. Where you repaired the abrasion with JB weld, It is starting to rub a bit and I see very minor abrasion. I will add this to my maintenance list which will be addressed in about 3 weeks.

No tension. Should be slightly gapped.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

thank you.