Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XL Front Window Shades

Petervs Guest

For the sunvisor part of the problem, my Marathon had the Prevost original pull down type.

I did not like them because it took two hands to retract them, and you could not reach the one in on the passenger side. And because they were mouted squarely in front of the windshields, there was a small gap near the center of the windshield where the sun would sometimes hit me right in the eye.

I took them off, and have them in a box ready to ship to someone who makes me an offer I can not refuse. Includes both front shades and the drivers shade with hardware. All you need are a few screws.

I have no computer till Sunday night but you can email me at pvans@pacifier.com or give me a call at 360-901-7611.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Petervs Guest

To solve the sunvisor problem I bought some electrically operated shades from Carefree of Colorado. They have a website and dealers all over the country, including some who will sell by internet. I found one of those in Colorado who sold me the hardware.

They only make straight ones in specific lengths, and the windshield is curved,so you have to do some designing to get it how you want. Mine are 40 inches long and mounted so as to eliminate any gap from the drivers point of view.

The electric shade come with a switch you can run wires all over to operate it that way, or for an extra $50 you can buy a wireless kit. All you do is supply power to the shade and their wireless box ( easily available in my overhead area) and install the remote on the dash with some double stick tape. Now I can operate both sides while driving!

I also installed one on the drivers side, but it is a manual one, they do not make the electric ones short enough for this space. I think the mesh portion is a pain, and plan to cut that off very soon. it is a useless thing they say they are trying to cover their liability in case the shade blocks the side view mirror or something, but now you have to pull it way down to get to the solid part to block the sun and you have all that excess shade in the way.

I am 100% satisfied with the new system. Cost about $500 altogether I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Peter,

I have the same system you had before you added the electric shades. I have a string broken in one of my horizontal blinds, and I talked to Marathon a few days ago about a replacement. They didn't say for sure that they don't have any replacement parts, but instead they told me that if I send mine to them, they have a technician that will make any necessary repairs and return them in a few weeks. I plan to wait until after I get back from POG III. I agree with you that the horizontonal blinds do an excellent job of providing privacy.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Peter, I went to the Carefree of Colorado website, but only saw awnings. Nothing about shades at all. Was I in the wrong place? I went to their RV site, which was: http://www.rvawningsonline.com/

Thanks,

Ray -

go to parts/accessories

Peter,

Very nice post and very complete. Rae was looking in the catalog at those Carefree shades and since ours would fit in a recessed area, you won't even be able to see the shades when retracted. I think that will be our plan.

Thanks again to all who opined.

Ray -

go to parts/accessories
    Got it, thanks ...

So, does this front shade attach at the sides via a rail or similar mechanism to allow you to use these as a sunshade/visor while driving? I've got curtains for when parked, but I need something better when driving. I know the originals had rails down the side that the shades ran in/on.

Peter, Your pictures show white on the outside of your windows. Is that one of these snap on covers that fits over your windows? If so, where did you get it? Thanks. Dale
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Petervs Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Peter,

I have the same system you had before you added the electric shades. I have a string broken in one of my horizontal blinds, and I talked to Marathon a few days ago about a replacement. They didn't say for sure that they don't have any replacement parts, but instead they told me that if I send mine to them, they have a technician that will make any necessary repairs and return them in a few weeks. I plan to wait until after I get back from POG III. I agree with you that the horizontonal blinds do an excellent job of providing privacy.
    I too had a broken string ( fish line, really) and Marathon just gave me a new string in the roll up holder. There was nothing on it to indicate where it came from or who made it, but I installed it myself and since then mine have worked great.
    I think you need to operate them with a little care as they are a little fragile, the string thing I mean.

Petervs Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Peter, Your pictures show white on the outside of your windows. Is that one of these snap on covers that fits over your windows? If so, where did you get it? Thanks. Dale
    Well, not exactly a snap on cover. It is a picture of what you see whan the bus is parked in my hangar and the windshield is nearly against the back wall!