Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XL Front Window Shades

Default XL Front Window Shades

Our coach has mini blinds covering the front windshield that were installed by the converter. We would rather have a more updated blind system that can just be pulled down that was solid.

Most of the new coaches have this system, so my question is, are these Prevost shades / blinds or are they sourced from another place?

I spoke to IBP today and they don't handle them and suggested an outfit in Calgary called New-View Blinds. They don't answer their phone, so that looks like a dead end.

Any thoughts?

JDUB

dalej Guest

Jerry, post every detail. We are wanting to add new shades also, non electic, just the manual type. We would like the smaller ones too for the driver and door windows.

We have a piece of fabric that has to be snapped into place every night (huge pain). I would also like to find an easier solution. I have tried to find information on the interior electric shades that Carefree of Colorado makes, but havent been able to find anyone that can provide any good insight. I am also concerned about being able to cover the whole windshield. I would be interested in finding a good (reasonable cost) solution.

I have done some research on the electric shades. According to the folks I have talked to, the electric shades are powered by a set of sun visor motors from Prevost with a fabric shade attached instead of the black somewhat opaque sun material. If I remember correctly (which doesnt happen often), the pair of motors runs around $1,000. Carefree makes electric shades that will drop 40+ inches that can be used as a sun visor and a privacy shade. Unfortunately, the only model that I have been able to find for sale has the motor at one end making it difficult to get complete coverage of each side of the windshield given the available space that I have in my coach. At the time these shades were priced around $175 each. I found a set on their website that did not have the large motor on the end, but could not find anyone that sells them. I haven't checked their website lately, but they may have a solution. I will try to look over the next couple of days and report back.
    Last edited by Loc; 03-29-2007 at 06:54 PM. Reason: more comments

I hope nobody from the PP is reading this.

JDUB, Lowes, Home Depot, Penney's and other stores all sell the blinds that have no strings. They are available with an opaque backing or you can get them with two sections, with the first being a sun screen and the second a privacy type. They are custom made, the color of your choice, and are relatively cheap.

The only thing you may wish to do is to add a valance if your coach does not already have one. This is not as expensive as going to a converter to get it done, but it will work perfectly. We are contemplating replacing our side window blinds with some when we get around to redoing the interior.

My bus had some dark plastic piece, on a swivel arm instead of the standard pull down blinds. I checked just recently with Prevost about stock bus blinds for the front windows. $800.

I'm looking for a better solution too!

For the sake of clarification, we too have the giant nogahide looking deal that snaps into place over the front and on the driver and passenger side windows. We have day/night shades over the other windows, but these need to be privacy quality without the dual system or mini blinds.

I saw a set of Prevost blinds (looks like you install small rods on the sides and the shade just lowers from the top) for sale on eBay, but they got snapped up before I could look them over.

So between the mini blinds, the snap in blinds and the snap-to-the-front of the coach sun screens, I have more options than MangoMike has coaches. Oh and Bus Bob too...

Another option, but nowhere near as nice and easy as shades is the sliding window drape that was done in the mid 80s. It was effective and the drape would make a neat bundle if it was pleated, but I never want one again.

we have a 2000 liberty...shades are black and electric....had to replace the entrance door shade....do business regularily with a tarp company...matched up product perfectly....same grade....same reinforced vinyl....simply took off mechanism....had shade duplicated, along with sewn seam...and replaced...great product...non transparent / non translucent....highly recommended.....thanks, shookie...and very inexpensive

Sorry Jerry. If I'd known you were interested I would have saved them before going on E-Bay. We sold them because they took two hands to operate and consequently didn't work well as sun-shades. As privacy shades the gap at the edges was too wide for my lady friend, Liberty's standard curtain arrangement works much better. We ended up with Rosen Sunshades, they are very adjustable, we've always liked them in the airplane and they are working well in the bus. Peter might like to jump in the thread as he recently installed electric shades and I think he likes them. Good luck.

Petervs Guest

Hello Poggers. The front window shade issue is really in two parts. There is the privacy, nightime problem, and there is the while you are driving sunvisor issue.

I will do a couple of posts to keep the pictures reasonable.

For privacy, my Marathon came equipped with a nifty system of horizontal pull pleated shades for the front windshield and the drivers and passenger windows. The windshield ones retract into a center mounted holder. The side window retract into cavities created in the window moldings.

I thought it was one of the slick Marathon solutions to this problem. It has worked extremely well for us. It would be hard to retrofit the side window shades, but the fronts would be easy if you bought the part from Marathon. I do not know if they still sell them, but it is a part they made or had made specifically for them.

Pictures show it better than words.
    Attached Images Attached Images