Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member buying 1990-2005 XL or H3 for full-time travel and office

Default New member buying 1990-2005 XL or H3 for full-time travel and office

Happy Labor Day Weekend!

I am a new member that is in the market for a 1990-2005 XL or H3 bus to travel with my wife full-time and as our mobile office for our trial consulting business.

I have had two previous coaches that were modified to be my main office and for use as a war room at trial. I had a 43’ Monaco Signature Series and a 42’ Sportsman Sportscoach. Neither were exactly right for my intended use and both had ongoing issues that made me question the reliability of each.

We are now at a stage where we want to travel, post lockdown, full-time while working remotely from our bus. We travel across the country for jury trials and usually extend our stay after the trial is finished.

With my prior two coaches I would call ahead and bag the parking meters closest to the courthouse so our office could be right outside the courthouse doors. It worked great in most cities...except Los Angeles...lol. Much of our work is regional to Texas, but we truly travel everywhere. Many of our cases are very high profile as well. I have been referred to as a rockstar trial consultant...so a bus seems to fit our mode of travel.

These days the thought of getting on a plane with all of my trial equipment is just daunting. Can’t really ship it due to cost and the possibility of it getting “lost.” So, getting a bus seems like the next logical step over taking our large SUV and staying in hotels (something I am not excited about these days with Covid-19).

We are very excited about this adventure and being location independent. Not having to get back to our home before going onto our next trial will be a sigh of relief. I am diligently going through posts on just about every subject.

Are there any particular years we should be avoiding in the 1990-2005 range? I suspect maintenance records and a thorough inspection by Gil and any required chassis work to be completed by Joe Camper will make us aware of any issues on a particular coach.

We both like the old school rivets and prefer no slides or a narrow slide. Having a slide while parked on the street at a courthouse is not usable. You can’t always put the slides out toward the sidewalk or toward the traffic.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? Or looking out for? Again, I am working my way through the posts on the forum, which is a God send.

Any pointers or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Keith
    Last edited by TrialGuy; 09-06-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Court house and federal buildings seam to be the center of attraction for protesters and rioters these days. Maybe you want to Rethink positioning a presumed sign of wealth (your new to you Prevost) right in front of a court house.
    perhaps locate your coach out of town and find a old beater car to take down town.

Just saying
    Chuck
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

Having been a previous Dynasty and Signature owner, you will find the reliability, parts availability and service center opportunities of a Prevost light years ahead of what you are used to.
    Les Stallings
    Crossville TN
    2006 Country Coach XLII

Welcome aboard. First thing that stuck out is your very wide peramiters on years. I wouldn't get one too old to do what u plan. Another thing if u r fulltiming combined with boondocking at a curb is I would stick to only OTR AC chassis. If the gen quits for whatever reason u could high idle with ac for as long as needed without any adverse effects to the engine besides killing the fuel mileage. Id also stay away from darker paint jobs and ceramic coat the roof right out of the box. Hs hold more fresh water but putting more to an xl is not that difficult.

Personally I would not buy a camper with a toilet that is not enclosed in some manner allowing movement to and from when occupied. I am not full time but I've been in mine easily 4 or 5 year over the last 10. The 40 may also be really handy and often with what u r intending.

I'm doing a couple new patients 1 in Fl in Oct. and OK. City in Nov. If I read these guys correctly they will have me going through both brakes and suspension. if u r still looking those invoices will be good info for u if u find a bus u like with little service history so u can make an offer accordingly.

I may be interested in getting something expunged LOL just kidding

2000 year is big changes for the XLs Absolutely drive both XL and XLII. The ride is no different but the cockpit changed a ton. The ride is also no different on h and xl but the cockpits r way different perspective sitting low on h. Drive all 3 XL XLII and H

Customizing the living room to accommodate your work/lifestyle should be budgeted in short of getting real lucky finding something perfect. Might even pick one up discounted with livingroom "issues" u will prob need to customize that spot regardless.Thers some real user friendly ideas I've seen for work/ play elements that will make the experience worlds better. Bays too. Entertainment center versus File cabinets?

We have a resident pogger Dave in OK City he still has a home but he does work and play like u r doing bet he'd be a big help for creature comfort user friendly suggestions. And costs too.. Dont hesitate to talk to him he would be happy to help im sure. He too got a nonslide.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 09-07-2020 at 10:32 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Ck2Hans, yes, that is one of my concerns, especially at the federal courthouses. We will be towing a trailer with a smaller vehicle and other trial related items. In the past, it was very convenient to have my office so close to the courthouse, but now I need to be more careful about conspicuous displays of wealth.

Thank you BadFitter. The reliability, part availability and service center opportunities of Prevost over production coaches is exactly what I am aiming for.

Thank you Joe Camper. Excellent information.

I agree about the separate toilet room. That is a must on our list as well.

I will look through the invoices for brakes suspensions, etc.

Lol on the expungement! I know some attorneys that do that kind of work...some of them are even good attorneys...lol.

Good advice on driving each model. Legacy Coach had one of each model, but they seem to sell very quickly. I may have to go to Nashville area or Arizona to get all 3 options to test drive in a short time frame.

We have seen several floor plans that will work great. Changing a table are to a breakfast bar for eating and work space is an option we like. Taking out one couch if there are two and making a long work station/desk area is another. I have seen the table/couch dining option and that would work great for spreading out files and working with witnesses/clients. The biggest issue we are encountering is closet and storage space.

This is the only floor plan that we have seen so far that would have enough closet and work/space. It is Barbara Mandrells 1993 Eagle Bus floor plan. We would replace the chaise lounge with a desk area and modify the bunks to accommodate printers and extra equipment/supplies for trial. We would also add a washer/dryer combo in the closet between the kitchen and bathroom.

I will look up Dave in OK city to pick his brain about creature comforts and cost related to living/working on a regular basis.

Thank you again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legacy just took a 2000 Marathon H nonslide from a coustomer of mine that is not in need of much. Wouldn't need any outside help before or mechanical expenditures after the purchase with that one.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Hello Keith,

My wife, Becki, and I have been full time since 98 and our latest coach is Monaco Executive. We too are looking to upgrade to a Prevost and below are some specs from what I have learned so far.

Must be model/style H3-45 dual slide
    Much prefer Pre-EGR engine. EGR appears to have arrived in Prevost units about 2003 - 2005
    Will Not buy with DPF which started in 2007
    So years about 2001-2005 Pre-EGR and no later than 2006 Pre-DFP maybe if other details justify working with EGR.
    Don't want Bus Air (huge compressor run by main engine), maybe Basement Air if not to much space is lost, so prefer is Roof Air

It is just Becki and I and we travel to promote our company and do photography, she does still and I fly drones. We don't want glamours but want very well built for full time and want the front area to be more office like for our post production work. We used to tow vans but now we have a F-350 with a camper setup for off-roading or over-landing. I'm in learning mode now but can't wait to find our new home and make it our own.

I look forward to hearing how you do and what you learn about making the right purchase.

Good Luck!
    John & Becki
    Stuart, FL

Detroit 60 EGR (but pre DPF) engines can easily have the EGR defeated.
    Also, many times the engine is one or two years earlier than the conversion. For example our 2006 Country Coach is built on a 2005 Prevost shell and has a 2004 Detroit 60. The engine production year determines the EGR/DPF requirements.
    Les Stallings
    Crossville TN
    2006 Country Coach XLII