Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PPI - Gil Johnson

Post PPI - Gil Johnson

Re: 2003 Prevost XLII Liberty Classic (non-slide) 30th Anniversary Edition - Coach #536

My wife (Deb) and I had the distinct pleasure of meeting and conducting a PPI survey of this coach with Gil Johnson last week. Now, before any forum comical comments...no, we did not just happen to luck into catching Gil on a “good day” - as we worked together over the course of four days and Gil was the consummate gentleman throughout. 😄

Gil’s reputation for thoroughness and a knowledgeable expertise in evaluating the overall condition of a Prevost coach is well-deserved!
    In particular, what we liked about Gil was that he didn’t try to “impress” us with bravos claims of his knowledge of all things Prevost. But, rather that after a cordial introduction...he just dove right in and we got to work. Admittedly, we did find some major items (e.g., a disassembled Cruisair unit that will need total replacement; A-arms and bushings that although recently replaced will need re-done as wherever did them failed to have Prevost follow-up with a front end alignment; Auxiliary Air bleed down due to leaks; factory installed chassis charger needs replacing, the beginning of delamination on one skin panel, etc.). But, overall - it is a very sound coach, particularly for its age.

Although it may seem strange, something else we found great comfort in was Gil’s working relationship with Austin Hicks (General Manager/Partner of Olympia Luxury Coaches). Over the last couple months and certainly after spending six days last week with Austin and most of Olympia’s exceptional technical and mechanical teams and witnessing the absolute perfection of several coaches just released for delivery...we have built a high degree of trust and appreciation for their skill sets; and their commitment to ensuring each coach is extremely re-conditioned to “as new” safety standards before the new owners drive off!

FYI - Gil fully disclosed that he frequently performs PPI’s for Olympia’s Re-sale/Consignment coach inventory. The fact that Austin entrusts Gil with the evaluation of their fleet speaks volumes, as Austin truly is knowledgeable of all things Prevost, if anyone is! 😎

In deference to Gil’s detailed survey, and even though Olympia had just received this coach back from the paint shop last Saturday and, therefore, not had an opportunity to thoroughly review it...Olympia was already aware and committed to fixing/replacing many of the items that Gil and I discovered during the PPI. Additionally, Austin agreed to care for the items from the final PPI results and several (mostly cosmetic) items we identified after spending most of five work days onboard.

We found Gil to be very friendly, honest, approachable, extremely professional; humorous and fun to work with...reassuring, patient, pro-active in sharing mechanical and Maintenance aspects of Prevost ownership to stay current with; Insurance, roadside service, fuel savings and where else to find help.

Bottom line: While Olympia takes in some of the finest Prevost coaches available, it was thrice reassuring to have our findings verified by Gil and Olympia ownership/technicians who are committed to seeing that we are 100% satisfied with our purchase, its value and safety!

Additionally, after rebuilding the front Independent suspension, Olympia will be taking our “new to us” coach to Prevost for a wheel alignment, DMI and the delamination check. Detroit Diesel and Allison Transmission historical Computer reports will also be printed out for us. In addition to all their Prep work...new tires and new batteries will be installed, full Level III services on the engine, generator and Webasto, etc. will be completed before we return to “camp out” while testing every system on 50 Amp shore power, on Inverters and finally using just the 20KW Kohler generator.

Thanks to Gil (and, Olympia’s) exceptional high standards, we are so reassured of this being the “right for us” coach that we made the purchase!
    Can’t wait to return to Olympia and bring this beauty home!

Both Gil and Austin/Olympia have made new lifelong friends in us.

I can only agree with you 100% Gil also did a PPI on our coach at Olympia last week as well. The experience with Gil and with Austin have been nothing but amazing! We also will be traveling from California to Olympia Luxury coaches to take delivery of our very first Prevost.

Great report - it’s refreshing to hear positive news! It also says a lot about Olympia to welcome a PPI from Gil. Goes to show you that when you step up to a Prevost, there is more to it than meets the eye. Congratulations - you’ll sleep well in your new bus and when you get back home too..

Hi Ben and Carla,
    We saw your beautiful coach while we were at Olympia! Really fantastic floor plan and that exterior is eye-catching!
    Especially liked watching the “finished” products pulling out for delivery from Olympia. ��
    Great people and an outstanding business...we intend to return each year for Level III Service (less costly than anywhere in FL...and, Olympia will go beyond the other’s typical Level III bar).
    Enjoy your beautiful H3...hope to see you at a rally or campsite someday. ��

Greg, thanks for the kind words.

Clay, I only know of one dealer that doesn't support independent inspections or at least not from me. These are major investments like yachts and homes. Homes are inspected and yachts are surveyed. It only makes sense to have a Prevost motorhome independently inspected.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I will add to the comments regarding Gil. I was at Olympia inspecting my 95 XL Country Coach while Gil was there inspecting Deb and Greg's new coach. Since my investment was very modest compared to many coaches, I decided to go it alone. Just by chance, Gil was there and was generous in pointing out a couple items on my coach. Gil also took the time to answer a few questions. So, I want to add my thanks to Gil for his generosity and willingness to share.

Regarding Deb and Greg, they are very nice and excited about their coach. We talked for a while and exchanged information. Their coach is beautiful with a fantastic floor plane. Seems like Prevost owners are just really great people!

Finally, about Olympia. Trust is earned. And they are earning it. I identified a few items but they already had a list of items. I purchased the coach and they started through the process of making sure it was road ready. I was pleased when I learned that they found a drive axle leak and decided to replace bearings on both axles, grease seals and brakes. The drum brakes had pads left but were oil soaked on one side so they replaced both. Also they are having Prevost align the bus. My point is they could have easily covered that up and I would not have know the difference until a problem emerged. Very refreshing to find a company with pride in their work and desire to make sure my bus is safe and reliable on the road. Even with my relatively modest purchase price, they are treating my coach like a multi-million dollar show piece. Since I live just north of Nashville, Olympia will be my coach dealer for many years to come.

I pick up my coach Friday . . . can wait! And I am can't wait to get out on the road and meet the many great POG members. Really fantastic to have an active owners group willing to held us rookies.

Fantastic response and incredible turn-around time for your coach to be ready, Bill and Delinda!
    We plan to have Olympia perform annual Level III services as it will mean we are out using the coach and a great central starting point for either East coast or, Mountain/West coast trips! Hope to meet up with you both sometime! Enjoy! ����

No question about it Gil. Good to see the cooperation between the dealer and the inspector. It’s a big investment and the only way to be sure you know what you are getting into is through a qualified survey/inspection, fully agree and support what you do. ‘WE’ Prevost Owners are fortunate you have the knowledge and passion that you do for the process.

Gil, This is John I am looking at purchasing a 08 Legendary, do you ever make it to the Dallas area for inspections. Thanks in advance. John

This reply is to Gil Johnson: We hear you are the pro for electrical in our Royale..... Issues with only half power (front half). Hope to be able to talk with you later. Thanks, Keith M.