Thread: Safety Checks - Pretrip

Default Safety Checks - Pretrip

Bus Rookie here. I have been reading and learning the past couple weeks. All I can say is WOW. Drinking from a fire hose for sure.

Anyway, back to the basics. Like everyone, I am always concerned with safety and reliability. My biggest fear is a breakdown on the side of an interstate. Excellent care and maintenance are top of the list to minimize the risk of that happening.

However, does the POG have a walk around checklist (much like an airplane preflight checklist)? I searched and found some items but not a complete list.

So far:
    1. Check engine fluids
    2. Commercial Air Brake Test
    3. Chock wheels, release parking break, walk around bus listening for air leaks
    4. Check tire pressures and overall tire condition
    5. Radiator Fan - spin and check for roughness and noise

I am sure other important checks are needed.

Thoughts?

I would add the following:

6. Check the ground under the coach for any fluids.
    7. Check the fan belts to make sure they are in good condition and not missing (that has happened).
    8. Drain the auxiliary air system of moisture.
    9. Do a quick walk around to make sure all lights are operable.
    10. Make sure any antenna's are down and stowed.
    11. Make sure awnings are stowed and secure (had an awning open going down the road, fortunately it was a small window awning and there was no damage).

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Since every Prevost conversion is different, it's difficult to have a one-size fits all checklist. With that said, I posted my detailed checklists on my website and the PDF is available for download. Please note this checklist was created for a 2014 Marathon and while it may not be applicable to your coach, it can give you an idea of the items to address based on your specific scenario. https://www.gadgetguru.com/checklist/

Wow, now that is a checklist! Thanks GadgetGuru.

Q: I noticed you don't have a DOT break check on your list. Is that something I should do prior to the first move of the day?

Thats pretty good Bill. Or would u rather be called William? U know what to do. Nothing could make me more proud than to be the guy that gets known for urging everyone of getting in the habit of doing them.

Taking the notion a step further once your really farmilure and comfortable with yer stuff u can keep track of it along the way. Being observant. Dave noticed his pressure was cycling going down smooth road and not using the brakes. Under those conditions if its very air tight u could go for hr or 2 without the gauges and compressor cycling even once.

Make the test as soon as it is max pressure and the air dryer sneezes, shut it off, and do that dastardly deed.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 08-13-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines