Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PDI Question

Default PDI Question

Hello Poggers! We are very seriously considering our first Prevost.

We’ve found a ‘93 XL Country Coach that has caught our fancy. We are really interested in the coach and will be going to check it out this coming weekend. It had a new 8v92 installed not long ago and has less than 20k miles on it, while only having about 110k on the chassis.

Where should we begin with the PDI? How do we find an inspector? Is the common approach to take the coach to the inspector or vice versa?

Thanks so much for your help! There is so much to learn here, and we want to make sure we start out on the right foot!

Thanks again,
    David
    Last edited by loosenup; 08-10-2020 at 05:25 PM.

If you can get Joe Camper to inspect the undercarriage and drive train you will be dollars ahead. I inspect Prevosts, and only Prevosts. I don't generally inspect pre-95 era coaches as I have zero experience with the 2 stroke diesels, even though my primary focus is the converter systems. Where is this coach? Feel free to email me the listing, if you'd like. trawlergil@gmail.com

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Thanks Gil! Link sent to your email. It’s located in Tennessee. We live in Orlando, but are up in the Chattanooga area now so we can scoot up and check it out when it comes out of the detail shop this weekend.

Do u understand the huge difference in coaches equipped with the 60 series and those without?
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

I do understand the difference, and understand the four stroke series 60 is a superior engine in power, emissions, and probably longevity. It seems an 8v92 with around 10k miles would still be a reliable power plant, but I’m certainly no expert! In Prevosts, it’s hard to find a series 60 equipped coach under $100k. I find MCIs with 60s in the same ballpark (55-65k), but thought a Prevost with a low miles 92 would be a better rig than a comparably priced MCI. Should I think about this differently?

The bus looks in very good condition from the photos and the price is quite reasonable.

What did u see Gill?
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

I'm in Georgia for at least 4 or 5 days then Moorhead City NC. From there 2 stops in Ohio. I could divert to Knoxville on my way to Ohio but narrowing that down to closer than sometime in around 10 days to 2 weeks at this point would be impossible. Often things snowball and i would need a great deal of flexibility like notice 24hr prior to arrive would be great for me. I do not worry about the next job till I have my current 1 buttoned up and i have a 2 in the immediate future to concentrate on.

Does the bus still retain the CC and Prevo Manualls? Is there any service history? Someone put a lot of love into preserving that bus if saved the receipts should fill a shoebox.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 08-10-2020 at 07:17 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

If u were to purchase that bus no service history and after I uncovered many aged out chassis components and u gave me card blanch to go through it.....I would pull all 6 hubs down to the spindles replacing the lions share of suspension and brake components and parts and labor would come in more than 10 less than 15g.

I am suggesting this to all new patients that come to me with anything older than 2000 with limited service history.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 08-10-2020 at 07:26 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Thanks so much. We’ll know more later this week. I looked at and test drove a ‘93 XL in Nashville that had both the marathon and Prevost manuals. It seemed to be in pretty good shape too, but service history was sparse.
    Last edited by loosenup; 08-10-2020 at 11:01 PM.

I know pictures can be deciving but if it presents in person as in the photos its priced to sell fast. I wouldn't share that info with anyone until u decide u do not want it.

How long has it been for sale? Like less than a week or what?
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens