Thread: Spare Tire - Do I need One?

Default Spare Tire - Do I need One?

Bus rookie here. I did a search but could not find a discussion on need for a spare tire.

I have a spare tire bay in the front of the coach. But it will be delivered without a spare.

Q: Do I need to have a spare tire on board?

If no, what does everyone use that bay for?

Thanks - Bill

I dont know what others are doing. I keep all of my wash equipment including the spot free rinse system in that bay. However, when I get new tires in the next couple of years, I am thinking about keeping the best one in this bay for an emergency.

When we had a blow out on the Winnebago a few years back we had to take pot luck with the tire service firm and the replacement tire did not match. So we were out the cost of that tire when we finally got to a place that could match the others.

Looking forward to hearing what others are doing or plan to do.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

I'd say less than 10 percent of prevo motor homes have spares.

I might add chassis without otr ac and roof air lend themselves pretty well to carrying one. Trailers also make a convenient place if u r doing that. Also 315 80 r common 365s not so much.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 08-06-2020 at 05:26 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Joe:
    Thought the 365 shortage was a thing of the past. Am I wrong?
    Chuck
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

If your spare tire bay isn't occupied with converter stuff, a 365 won't fit anyway. And yes, the 365 tire is now being produced on as needed basis like all other tires.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

So Gill tell me how many different manufacturers r putting out the wonderfull and amazing 365s?
    Hmmmmmm?
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Newell and I think maybe the Newmar King Aire. Even Wanderlodge through a court order. As more of the big boys beef up their front ends I can see more making the migration.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Well, "The old Belt & Suspenders" theory comes to mind when we talk about spare tires. I kept both a 315, and a 365 for a spare when I bought new tires. I have most always carry a neatly wrapped 315 in my bay, and recently a 365 in the bed of my tow vehicle. It gives me a good sense of security while traveling. I have had blow outs on the 315's while having a spare, and not having one and it is very comforting to have a spare to get you to the next destination.
    Try setting on the side of the road while your road service try's to find a 315 tire, much less the same brand. You will hear them say brand names you have never heard of at an exorbitant price. (been there...done that) I can only imagine the struggle to find a Michelin 365.
    I have been many miles without a spare, and am not implying that you should buy one just to have a spare, but when you replace your tires....save one for a spare and feel the difference in your comfort level as you travel!

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

For years I kept a 315 spare behind the front bumper of our 02 XL. I now have a 365 space in one of the bays courtesy of Pete when he changed tires. I have a 315 spare in the storage area where we keep the bus. It probably doesn't do me much good there.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston