Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Enclosed car carriers?

ken&ellen Guest

Default Enclosed car carriers?

Ellen & I tow our Civic Hybrid four wheels down. We have been thinking about an enclosed car carrier for several reasons. 1) Our CruiseAir takes up the belly of our coach. 2) More storage by utilizing the car carrier 3) Prevents damage to the Civic by road debris. 4) Can not back up towing 4 down. What is the groups opinion. Thanks

Default Towing a trailer

Ken,
    I agree with all the reasons that you mentioned plus I have 3 small girls and we want to bring the bicycles and those types of things. I purchased the black 26' Competitive trailer that was for sale on Prevost-Stuff.
    I guess with that we can bring the back yard swing set as well. I just want to have all I can. I will bring my own wheel and rim for the Bus as a spare and all the other fun stuff.

I think I understand the down side to towing something this big but for me I can deal with that trade off for the extra storage space.
    Kevin

I have done it both ways. We have an alumninum car trailer that works well for certain trips. However, many RV campgrounds can't stand a 40' coach and 20' of trailer behind it.

Then we purchased an SUV we could tow just to see how it worked and for many applications that is just the way to go. Takes about a minute to unhook it and less time that that to shift it from neutral, so we are off and running. No more ratchet straps to attach and wrangle and no road damage (yet). We are going to tow the thing to the Grand Tetons / Yellowstone in June, so that will be the true test.

And we have a wheeless trailer for the SUV in case the girls "overpack".

I was wondering about the combined length of the coach and the towed vehicle. Would'nt a 45'r and a Chrysler van exceed Cal. 65' limit. Do any other states have the 65' limit? I have seen many coaches pulling trailers that appeared to be quite a bit longer than 20'. How do they do it? Does one need a 40'r to travel 'better' in Cal.? Do most stay away from Cal. with the 45'rs?

My wife wants to know what % of women drive the coach?
    Ohio and Florida do not require a CDL for an RV. Do other states that do require the CDL permit out of state drivers without one to drive in their state?
    Someone mentioned independent front suspension as opposed to solid, is this a concern for older coaches only or could you find say a 2002 without independent suspension? I hav'nt seen much mention of front suspension in spec. lists.

JIM

Jim,

I can only answer a couple of the questions.

My wife drives the coach and we are towing an H3 behind it. She does not have a CDL, but I have had one for 25 years and I keep the endorsements current.

I don't think there was any option on the newer coaches to have the solid front axle. I think all the new ones are set up with the independent front suspension and I doubt you will see it in many of the specs just because most folks know the year model break at which they were installed. It won't be hard to determine if you are looking at the coach in person.

I don't know about the CDL deal in other states, but if I lived in a state that didn't require one for an RV, then I would surely challange anyone saying you had to have one in a certain state. I got stopped in Colorado for not having a tag on a utility trailer. I told the highway patrol guy that they were not required in Oklahoma and he said well you are in Colorado and we require them.

I told him that when we went to court to clear this up, I would remind the judge that I had told the officer that there was no state requirement in the state I resided in, tagged my vehicle in and owned the trailer in to have a tag and that he should be aware that it didn't apply to Colorado.

He let me go, no questions asked, no ticket or warning. He knew I was right and that he would look like a fool in court.

I agree with JDUB relative to the licensing requirements. The only thing I would do would be to check with FMCA or similar organization because of the fact that some states (California comes to mind) have created laws now favorable to an RVer, but there appears to be a quid pro quo.

They recently approved a law allowing 45 foot coaches to drive on their roads (and there are certain limitations there), but the driver had to possess what I understand is a non-commercial class B license.

There was a time when NY (1992 I think) was not allowing RV owners to drive their coach after a traffic stop if they did not possess the suitable license (based on weight, air brakes, etc). That was changed after a huge outcry, but I think I read recently some states are again requiring appropriate non-commercial licenses. I know there is some reciprocity between states, but there are some states that will not reciprocate with your home state. FWIW, I get an insurance discount because I posses a class A. It might be economically feasible to just get a license for the class of coach (class B for over 26,000 lbs. with an air brake endorsement)

As far as length, 65' is the limit in most states, and my coach with my pickup is illegal, but towing the H2 it is exactly at the legal limit. I spoke to a Prevost owner at Camp Prevost in Jacksonville and he had just gotten a very large fine in one of the Dakotas because he was over the 65 foot length with his enclosed trailer. It is my personal opinion that police will not ticket overlength rigs unless they are grossly overlength or are doing something to attract their attention like speeding or tailgating.

My wife did drive the coach, but since it made her nervous she now does not.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

The only restrictions about length such as that you are suggesting is in California. You can find out about that by Googling on the net. Suggest that you get yourself a Trucker's Atlas that will show every state's individual differences in length, licensing, etc.

You do NOT have to get a CDL to drive any type of RV; despite the driving of some we see along the road.

As to what women do, well, that's a much larger topic and there is no forum on this site that is secure enough for me to mention a single word about it.

Sorry, Jeff.

The attached link shows the CA requirement for a class B non-commercial license with an RV endorsement for 45 foot motorhomes.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...s-motorhms.htm

On the other hand your comments about women drivers is 100% correct.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Oh sure Jon, give people facts.

Next thing you know, we will have to start telling the truth.

I said it before. If I don't know the answer I will make something up, but this was too easy.

I followed the CA debate because their stance previous to allowing the 45s was impacting a lot of folks. I would have to dig into this further, but somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to recall some other states are also requiring non-commercial licenses for big and heavy RVs.

If I remember correctly the CA debate was contentious and it was finally decided if 45 footers were to be allowed, they were to be driven by folks who had demonstrated the necessary skills, thus the requirement for a license. If my memory is correct they have severely limited how far 45 foot rigs can go from the interstates. I don't know if they are enforcing those limitations.