Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bumper Storage Compartment Question

Jeff Bayley Guest

Harry- Apology accepted. It's been said that even a broke clock is right twice a day. Well, I don't know what the inverse of that is but it might sound something like "Even the most active and helpful POG'ers are going to have an off day once and a while". I think you are appreciated and it seems like you post a lot and help a lot. Sooner or later, we all s, s, s, s-n-a-p. He,he.
    Last edited by Jeff Bayley; 10-31-2006 at 10:37 PM.

Default 110 psi

Ben:

There is a device known as an "air doubler". It is connected ahead of your air hose connection and it doubles the amount of air that your engine will generate. I have one my present coach and I also had one on my 1993 coach. They work very well. I run 140# in the steering tires, and I fill them with the "air doubler".

I will post the name of the manufacturer as soon as I can. If I remember correctly it costs about $350.

Last week at the LSU vs Fresno State game someone released 70 psi of air out of my driver's side front tire @ Tiger Stadium. I always check my tires before I drive and when I saw it I thought that I had a flat. I pumped it up and checked it 5 times on the way home. No leaks. Monday morning I had a tire service check it; no leaks.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

win42 Guest

Ben: I thank Tug for bailing me out on that one. Yes there is a way, but you need the doubler device he is refering to. I bought a $89.oo portable compressor that goes to 135 PSI at Costco while I was at Pog2. Jon said he used his bus air for his. He may have told me with the doubler, but I didn't catch that part. What has always puzeled me if the dash air brake guages show 110 -120 psi you cannot get it to a tire. Jon help me out here I'm sinking fast on this one.
    Harry

Ben Guest

I wasn't able to find any info on an air doubler online... but it looks like there is something called an air amplifier that does what you were talking about.

Here is a diagram of how one works:

And here are a few links for product info.
    http://www.flw.com/haskel/3.htm
    http://www.interfacedevices.com/airamp.html

I'm not sure which would be best for our application... I'd love to know the brand and model you've got. I'd love one of these... I had one of my drive tires go down to 90lbs and had to call all over the place to find somewhere that would have enough pressure to get it back to 110lbs. There were no truck stops in the area and most tire places were closed because it was a Sunday. I'd love to have 110+lbs on tap straight from the bus... that would get me to check my tire pressure all the time.

Thanks so much for mentioning this... I've always been annoyed that I couldn't get enough pressure from the bus. Sounds like something that Sting should talk Millennium into installing on his new bus.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Space

Harry or others- The 89.00 air compressor seems like it would take up less room than the required lenght of air hose to reach the lenght of the bus back to the passenger side. The electric cord can wind up more compact than the air hose no ?

I use my bus auxilliary air system to fill my tires if necessary on the road. The aux. compressor is inadequate because it cuts out at 100 PSI so to get sufficient pressure I just run the bus engine. The bus compressor will cut out at 130 on my bus.

If someone gave me a doubler or amplified I would use it, but for the rare occasions when I have to add air to a tire it is not worth the expense to me.

Ben, the next time you need to add air to a tire run the bus engine.

Tuga, 140 PSI exceeds the Michelin tire pressure maximum. Weigh your coach axles and use the chart to determine the correct pressure. If your front axle weight exceeds 18000 pounds you have exceeded the weight limits for 315R 22.5 tires.

Remember, your getting the air from the aux tank and it will take a little while due to the volume needed for the tire. You can tweak your air governor a little and set it at 130 instead of the 110 - 120 you may now have. I set mine at 130 the same as Jon.

Jon, I think Tuga is on 24.5's up front.

Tom,

The ragin' cajun has 315's on the steer axle, and I know if he is over 18000 pounds he has a problem. If the turn radius and clearances allow, and he is currently overweight, he may be a candidate for 365's.

Imre,

Glad you're getting into the swing of things here. You know it's positive when you start recommending Cool Tools.

Just beware of the Dark Side.

Mango Mike

Jon:

You are correct; my steer tires are 315/80 R 22.5 Michelins Load L rating and the max pressure is 130#. 140# is a no no. My error, thanks for the correction. I weighed the coach and my front axle weighed 16,910# and the each tire will support 9090# according to Michelin with 130 psi.
    Does that mean that my payload on the front is:
    18,000 GVWR minus 16,910 = 1090# ?
    The rear tires are 11 R 24.5 Michelins and I run 110 psi in drive axle and 80 psi in the tag axle.

Ben:

The air doubler is made by SMC Booster Regulator
    Model # NVBA 1110-T02N. There was no address or website on the unit.
    I Googled SMC Booster Regulator and stevenengineering.com seems to be the closest match. I looked on their site but could not find my unit.

I am leaving to go out of town but I will try to get more info for you when I get back home.

I think Jon's solution is the least expensive if your system can be tweaked to produce 130 psi. When I purchased the air doubler I was not aware that the system could be adjusted that high.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot