PDA

View Full Version : Hi Tire Temperature

Dthomas9572
07-14-2020, 08:39 PM
Hello,

On my way into Denver from the mountains, my TST Tire Monitor showed my Right steer tire jump up to 175 degrees. I immediately pulled over. The rim was very hot to the touch, but so were all my other rims. The tire rubber itself was warm, but not hot.

On the way down the steep grade into Denver I was geared down and kept to 45 mph. After the tire cooled down and I was on normal grade the tires read in the 110 degree range.

Any thoughts on what may of happened? The only thing I can think of is on the steep grade a lot on weight would have been on the steers?

My tires are about 6 months old. Do I need to be concerned damage could have been done to this steer hitting 175 degrees. On the other hand could the TST been reading the rim?

Thanks
David Thomas
1998 Featherlight XL

Gil_J
07-14-2020, 10:47 PM
The on valve stem sensors are effected by their surroundings. If the sensors is positioned such that it's in the wheel's hole, the wheel will have more influence on the temperature than a sensor outside the hole.

I recently moved my inner dual TST sensors from extensions to directly on the wheel's valve stem. In city driving I noted 150 degrees, a 20 degree increase in the reported temperature over what it was using extensions.

truk4u
07-15-2020, 08:50 AM
Continuous braking especially at slower speeds will push stem mounted TPMS temps up, see it all the time with Pressure Pro.

Dthomas9572
07-15-2020, 01:52 PM
Tom,

Does that mean the tire was not at the high temp, but just the TPMS? I rarely brake going steep grades as I gear down to 3 or 4, with Jake brakes and keep it around 35 to 40 mph.....Thanks

David Thomas
1998 Featherlight XL

truk4u
07-15-2020, 08:19 PM
I doubt the tire was that hot David. You had to have some serious braking going on to generate that much heat. Was the opposite steer similar in temp? Maybe you had a brake dragging a little.

Gil_J
07-15-2020, 10:58 PM
Tom, I'm curious how can the sensor read a temperature higher than its surroundings? My TST sensors tend to read the wheel temperature or less.

Dthomas9572
07-16-2020, 09:37 AM
Hey Tom,

It was just the right steer tire at 175 on the TST. The left was at 142. All the other tires were at 140 ish. No smoke at all. I did order a IR gun so in the future I can get an additional read.

Thanks