PDA

View Full Version : How's Stay-At-Home Affected You?

Gil_J
04-30-2020, 12:03 PM
Some Quarantine Work.
-- Engine painted Detroit Blue (Florida Detroit offers this as a far cheaper alternative to OEM paint. Painted tubes New Ford Gray.
-- Repair alternator front seal leak.
-- Replaced serpentine belt auto tensioner.
-- Replaced fan clutch with a rebuilt.
-- Replaced FilterMinder.
-- Adjusted fan support assembly.
-- Rewired battery charger and cleaned up and replaced some battery cables. I bet many have not seen too many H3's with the optional 8D chassis batteries.
-- Moved air horns from roof to spare tire bay.

The list goes on...

Joe Camper
04-30-2020, 02:42 PM
Wow look at you. I think that there's going to be a bunch of Thanksgiving babies and there's going to be a bunch of divorces and there's going to be a whole bunch of cool stuff that's coming out of the garages. I'll bet you there's a whole bunch of guys that are just loving the time off.

What's next flyboy going to check that tire pressure again or what? You should have like a remote monitor in your bedroom somewhere where you can see it 24/7 line current and loads too.

Yer engine bay is beautiful for its age. The kind of thing u probably wish u heard more often about yourself eh?

I got work to do. Later

Ck2hans
04-30-2020, 05:38 PM
Gil:
Looks great, now you have made more work of me. LOL
Chuck

BGLogistics
05-01-2020, 12:05 AM
Gil that does look great. I can’t be shamed tho by anything like that. 😁. One can’t have everything.

Donnie Myers
05-01-2020, 06:23 AM
The only thing it has affected us is Sunday's! We have been working on coaches the whole time! Sunday is "family" day. We adopted our now 10 and 12 year old grandchildren and usually take Sunday to go to the theme parks, beach, boating etc. With the weather not ideal for boating, we have devoted the time to our home! I have done more yard work and window washing than I have in 40 years! Heck, I bought a zero turn Big Dog and a bunch of Stihl gas accessories and fired the landscaping crew and mow the grass at the shop my self..lol

Gil, your coach looking great! We worked for a long time to get the right paint color that Florida Detroit is selling now!

BGLogistics
05-01-2020, 08:18 AM
Donnie I’ve tried calling you a couple times. I’ll keep after it. I’m the weirdo wanting to explore feasibility and cost of retrofit 80’s quad sealed beams to 90’s XL currently with Excalibur’s.

ELucast
05-08-2020, 06:29 PM
The stay at home order's been a really big deal for me.

Thirty years ago immediately after I said I do, my new wife, a now retired molecular biologist and bio chemist, for HHMI announced my LAST MEAL would taste wonderful. I've been thru three dogs and now all the restaurants are closed. What to do?

Joe Camper
05-09-2020, 11:11 AM
I'm very sorry Les I apologize I've deleted both of those post just for you.

BadFitter
05-09-2020, 11:45 AM
Thanks Joe. It is not that I disagree or agree... it just seems to get out of hand eventually. I appreciate your understanding. We are all friends here.

Joe Camper
05-09-2020, 12:56 PM
Still looking for a haircut

georgiapeachinc
05-10-2020, 10:29 AM
Hi Gil, Nice looking engine compartment. As far as staying at home; we don't, being in the trucking business. CV has brought us to our knees as 90% of our customers have gone MIA with everyone else. It has allowed us to catch up on truck maintenance & spend more time in the kitchen cooking and in my wood shop. As far as the coach goes the previous owner covered everything before we bought it. He was a meticulous guy! Aside from the previous issues I have posted on POG washing and waxing is about all it needs...until....!

Fratto
05-11-2020, 02:21 PM
Hello Gil: Would be great to hear more about how you prepped the engine bay, what spray equipment you used etc.

Gil_J
05-13-2020, 08:00 AM
Mark,

I did a few things.

First, I remoced everything that was in the way and most of what was to be painted gray. Then I used an engine cleaner making sure any accumulated grease was broken up. I did that with a few stiff bristle brushes. Then I pressure washed it.

With a clean and dry engine I used a paint prep product that removes wax and grease making sure to use several cleaning cloths.

I then used Scotchbrite pads to rough up the paint and then followed with another wipe down with the paint prep product.

Then it's just a matter of masking what doesn't get painted. I used tape and paper. It was later suggested aluminum foil is better as it is more conformal than paper. That makes sense.

Fratto
05-13-2020, 10:10 AM
Great thought on the foil. Did you use a commercial spray gun or go with cans?

Gil_J
05-13-2020, 02:43 PM
Mark, it's a small job. I used rattle cans. The factory color is hard to find. Detroit has it and Florida Detroit in Orlando has this one at less than half price.

Joe Camper
05-16-2020, 06:38 AM
Look at the new clothing trends to help with social distancing dig these hats.

Noodle hats!! Those nutty Germans r on to something.

Fratto
05-16-2020, 01:45 PM
Thanks Gil. Joe, send us a picture of you in one of those hats!

ELucast
05-23-2020, 03:38 PM
I sell lot of engine enamels, computers can do funny things reproducing colors but that looks a lot like GM Corporate Blue also known as Pontiac light blue.

Gil_J
05-23-2020, 04:25 PM
I sell lot of engine enamels, computers can do funny things reproducing colors but that looks a lot like GM Corporate Blue also known as Pontiac light blue.

GM Corporate Blue was what I was going to buy until I found this at the Detroit dealer. Seeing Detroit Diesel was a GM company, I can see the GM paint being a match.