PDA

View Full Version : How do you drain the roof mounted radiator for my CC Power Tech 17.5kw genset??

Dockholiday
04-16-2020, 10:07 PM
I spent this afternoon with a flashlight trying to figure out how to drain the coolant from my CC roof mounted generator radiator. This one has me stumped.. I assumed it would be about as easy as an oil change - find the valve, turn, release - then refill on the roof. Negative - no such luck :-(

I’m hoping this is not going to be a PITA - anyone have a suggestion? 2007 XLII Country Coach -

Thanks, Clay

Gil_J
04-16-2020, 10:55 PM
Although I've not done it, I have to believe you drain it from the drain on the generator. I could envision drain valves possibly being on both roof bound hoses at the generator to speed it up.

You definitely have to fill at the roof or you'll never get the air out.

Dockholiday
04-17-2020, 12:42 PM
I can’t even find a drain on the generator- at least not one that is accessible and obvious.

BadFitter
04-17-2020, 03:58 PM
I'm not sure if I had the right manual but it seems there is a drain on the engine block near the starter... Of course the starter is basically inaccessible, on the back side, generator NOT on a slide.

Plus, it might be really slow draining with the thermostat closed. The hot leg going up to the radiator would only drain via the small vent hole.

Dockholiday
04-17-2020, 09:29 PM
This is not sounding like much fun - I’m thinking the coolant is in good shape after all!

Gil_J
04-17-2020, 10:32 PM
Get a test strip and see if it's good. You'll have to get one for diesel engines.

Can you see any valves in the bay where the roof top lines leave the generator or before they turn up through the wall?

BadFitter
04-18-2020, 09:21 AM
How good can 14-15 year old, untouched coolant be? That's my concern.

Dockholiday
04-18-2020, 09:27 AM
Good idea, I’ll find some test strips - it actually looks good from a color perspective, bright orange. I can see the piping/hose going up, but no sign of a valve, tee or anything. There has to be a work around, I know of a place in Dallas that specializes w/ CC conversions (Platinum Coach) - I’ll call them and see if I can get some intel.

Gil_J
04-18-2020, 09:39 AM
Orange should be extended life. If so, it's likely good for a very long time given how few hours most generators run. I know Tradewinds has done coolant changes on the rooftop CC. I'll ask.

Dockholiday
04-18-2020, 04:51 PM
Thanks Gil - the generator doesn’t have a lot of hours on it. I’m just trying to get everything zero’d out for a fresh start. This is the last fluid I’m left to deal with.