PDA

View Full Version : XL Headlight Conversions

Gil_J
02-19-2020, 07:29 AM
Someone with an XL may want to try this conversion kit. This would be a great improvement, if they fit. The 5x7 LED headlights are the right lights. It's just a matter of fit with this kit.

https://cpaddict.com/bricknose-australian-headlight-conversion-kit/

Also, IBP is testing the fit of their conversion.

Dharsin
02-27-2020, 01:02 PM
That's looks like an easy and reasonable cost conversion if it's a good fit. I'm interested to see the results

BGLogistics
02-28-2020, 12:27 PM
I’m waiting on the 80’s retro quad rectangle glass sealed beam conversion kit complete with all associated stainless trim conversion hardware. Love that look. Put the turn signals/markers in the bumper where the driving aka fog lamps are now and good to go.

craiglenz
03-31-2020, 01:46 PM
Any more links for updating an XL to LED headlights. Do you have a contact at IBP if they have any test results? Got your tail light kit and looks great! Thanks.

Craig

Gil_J
03-31-2020, 04:49 PM
Craig,

I'm glad the lights showed up before you departed.

Steve Kolb is the goto guy at IBP. I'll have to check. I think they were supposed to be test fitted a few weeks ago.

I think someone was going to order the Aussie headlight adapters to see how they fit. I'll post if I hear how that went.

craiglenz
04-01-2020, 10:21 PM
I ordered a set of the Auzzie Headlight Adapters and a set of JW Speaker 8900 Evolution 2s. Will let you know how we make out. Ordered your docking light suggestion too. Will have a full LED update on my 96 XL here in the next few weeks. Appreciate all you do for us guys!

Sc17842
04-13-2020, 06:11 PM
I ordered a set today, so I’ll post pictures on my 1997 liberty xl ����

Gil_J
04-13-2020, 09:01 PM
Which ones did you order? I was wondering if IBPs was ready yet.

craiglenz
04-15-2020, 03:09 PM
I ordered mine from cpaddict.com

Gil_J
04-15-2020, 04:44 PM
I ordered mine from cpaddict.com

Did you receive these yet and check to see if they will work?

craiglenz
04-17-2020, 05:22 PM
I havent installed them yet Gil. I did find that I had to grind down the inside corners of the bracket that goes over the 8900s as it was just the tinyest amount too close a radius. About a felt marker width in each corner with a Dremel opened them up to a good fit but now I need to figure out how to seal what I ground from rusting as its a chromed metal bracket. Unfortunately the chrome besels have a couple scratches on them and they are just chromed plastic but otherwise it looks like they should work. Will post when I get them in..... or not lol.

Sc17842
04-20-2020, 05:06 PM
This is the cpaddict version. Some modifications are necessary to the light assembly more to come. For some reason, I can’t figure out how to post photos. If anyone can help, I’d greatly appreciate it

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/blob:http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/ed2a334a-3f72-48c4-be38-019dfed7ea95

Sc17842
04-20-2020, 05:10 PM
trying to post photo again

Sc17842
04-20-2020, 08:36 PM
left side complete right side old style.

Gil_J
04-21-2020, 08:23 AM
Scott, those look great and the price is right. Thanks for sharing. I would expect most XL owners will want to make the change. If there's any tips or tricks I'm sure others would like to know.

BTW, I rotated your pictures.

Fratto
04-21-2020, 11:00 AM
Agreed!

BTW, several of us have had issues with rotated pictures. Since we do not have access to to the grand kids for tech help right now, can you help us understand this process?

mwalker422
04-22-2020, 10:15 PM
I gave up on IBP and ordered from cpaddict.com 10 days ago. They emailed informing me a shipping date of May 1st. Scott, what lights did you use?
Mark Walker
Crosby, TX
98 Royale

mwalker422
04-22-2020, 10:20 PM
I gave up on IBP and ordered from cpaddict.com 10 days ago. They emailed informing me a shipping date of May 1st. Scott, what lights did you use?

craiglenz
04-24-2020, 12:39 PM
Like Scott I got one light in yesterday. In the photo you may notice the light is tight to the inside vs the outside which has about a 1/2 in gap. To split the difference I would need to open the slots on the main brackets to center the light as they are at the far outside adjustment now. Install went relatively well. I agree I think they look pretty good. One thing I found is the slots the adjusters attach to only has a vertical slot so they cant be locked. Im going to use a light "hay wire" fix on them to keep the plastic insert from turning when we try adjusting the lights. Putting a small bolt or roll pin on one side would be the right way to do it. One side did not spin but the other did on occassion and think it may be a problem if they are not affixed to bracket as there would be no way to hold this insert once installed when adjusting. Will post more pics when Im done. I used the JW Speaker Evolution 2 LEDs.

One other challenge I had was the bracket that goes over the headlight to hold it to the mount would not go over the JWs without my taking a dremel to the corners to open them up. Of course this took the zinc coating off so I will need to use some paint or seal the metal from rusting. This came as a surprise since they told me the JWs were going to work great with this setup. I also have one Bezel that is scratched on the top and the bottom. The company is sending a replacement.

Gil_J
04-24-2020, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the update. They sure look better than what was on there and much better than the round headlights. Did you turn them on at night with one stock one still installed?

craiglenz
04-24-2020, 04:35 PM
I havent , but thought the same thing. Not sure if Ill get the chance. Ive got the LED driving lights to go on too so expect it will be quite a difference. Will post a pic if I can on a comparison.

Sc17842
04-24-2020, 05:27 PM
Good afternoon all, attached are several photos of the headlight conversion from CP addict.com. I too had some issues aligning the headlight in the center of the bezel, however with a prybar, I was able to push them all the way to the outside, which allowed them to fit nearly perfect. Honing out the headlight adjuster holes unfortunately will not help because the bolt travel is a limiting factor. I also experienced the headlight adjusters spinning like someone else had mentioned. Lastly, when you install these into the stock housing, you will need to turn all three adjusters in by at least three turns to gain the appropriate clearance on a liberty.

Sc17842
04-24-2020, 05:29 PM
The evening photos were taken with one LED light and one halogen light. The LED light was so much brighter, It washed out the halogen light.