PDA

View Full Version : Is Cold Glass The Hot Setup

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-19-2007, 08:19 PM
In looking for a buss I came across a feature that was pointed out in the specs. and I have never seen or heard mention of it since. That would be double walled glass with inert gas between. I guess like Thermopane or something. Is this common and just not mentioned or is it rare. Seems it would also add to quietness inside. If I remember correctly the Buss was Canadian, but I'm not sure. This glass would probably work well in heat as well.
That was over a year ago and what makes me think of it now is I read an add for that other buss co. MCI and there was mentioned a cold weather package!?
MCI sure missed with, THE LOOK, definately not a Prevost. Can anyone :p elaborate on this glass act? JIM

jack14r
03-20-2007, 06:37 AM
my XLII has double pained glass in it,the glass guys term it I G Units,for insulated glass units.if the seal is comprised the windows will cloud up like a house window.jack

lewpopp
03-20-2007, 10:27 PM
This reopens the subject of the glass in the front sides of the early coaches of the 90's. In the door and the drivers side stationary and slider they put insulated glass in there and the remainder of the coach has single thickness or non-insulated glass. What's the reason for that?

I have one member saving a slider he took out and I need a used stationary whole glass. I will try to have them made by my son-in-law with the exact measurements if only I can get his proctologist to find his head for a while. A single thickness of safety glass is all that is need as far as I can see.

All of my front windows have been changed and all are clouding up within a few months.

What do ya think?

Lew

Petervs
03-21-2007, 12:33 PM
My coach also has double pane on the drivers and passengers fixed portion and sliding portion. The rest is single pane.

I think Prevost did this to prevent fog forming on the sides where you need to be able to see through to see the side view mirrors. Not an issue on the right really, but that is why they did it I believe.

I have had my drivers fixed fog over, and replaced it myself with a Prevost window for about $300. Way too much money in my opinion. Since the coach flexes just a little, I think double pane side windows would probably not last too long before the seal was broken, and with a big enough heater/ bus air system, keeping the temp where you want it is not a problem if you are a motorcoach, but as a motorhome it would add to the comfort if the windows were insulated.

Some plastic coach manufacturers solve the problem by eliminating most windows, it always amazes me that people buy motorhomes with almost no way to see out.

My friend Brian replaced both sides fixed and slider and frames for about $300 each with a safety glass unit made by Peninsula Glass in Vancouver ,WA. He has some comments about that place so check with him first.

lewpopp
03-21-2007, 10:34 PM
I still would think I can replace the fixed and slider with safety glass (non-insulated) for a fraction of the insulated glass cost. I never use the bus in cold or frosty weather..I would take my chances. these frosted windows are worse than ouside weather would ever cause. I have trouble seeing in my left mirror now.