PDA

View Full Version : Air Fittings, Compression / Push to Connect

Fratto
11-24-2019, 10:59 AM
I have a few air fittings in the auxiliary air systems that need to be replaced. I went to Prevost to buy some and they said to use compression fittings from the hardware store. DOT approved push to connect fittings are not that expensive and would seem to be easier to use.

Any thoughts on using one or the other?

Fratto
11-24-2019, 11:04 AM
Also for the tubing to accessories like the belt tensioning mini bags, etc. should we be using DOT approved tubing or can we use any industrial tubing with the proper pressure rating?

Gil_J
11-24-2019, 03:00 PM
DoT fittings and hose is only required on the braking system. A catastrophic failure on the aux side can't totally deplete the braking air. this is the primary function of the protection valve.

With that said, why not use all DoT stuff? The cost is about the same and your spares will all be the same.

Fratto
11-24-2019, 03:51 PM
Thanks Gil. That is what I was thinking. Any thoughts on compression vs push to connect fittings? I am leaning toward the DOT push to connect ... that may have been part of what you were saying above... I was just surprised that the Prevost parts tech in Fort Worth suggested the hardware store compression fittings.

Thanks again.

Gil_J
11-24-2019, 04:19 PM
Compression fittings are cheaper and less susceptible to leaking over time from hoses that place a strain on the connector. Make sure you use a tubing insert. All DoT fittings for plastic tubing will come with them.

Fratto
11-24-2019, 04:23 PM
Awesome. Thanks Gil.

Joe Camper
11-24-2019, 06:11 PM
If u call me I'll go through exactly what u need in terms of sizes and I'll send u the group and they will all be parker.

If u r unsure of sizes u can text me pictures.

Get a list started. Let me help u.

Absolutely do not buy anything but parker.

Some of the stuff in home Depot and Lowe's r flat out chincy. Fleetpride in OK City recently put some "parker type" Chinese stuff in my hands. In the past they sold parker dont know if it was a local phenomenon or not.

When buying a fitting if it is not marked multiple times with a p.p.p.And parker dont put it on your bus.

The Chinese look alike squeal like a pig tightening up some dont ever seal and I've snapped one trying to tighten away bubbles. I have never snapped a parker ever.

That line, any of them, in the engine room get HOT. Lots of times they put braided steel line in there. Use the same that's used on the rest of the bus and anything in the engine bay if not braided covering it with black plastic wire loom protector to insulate it some.

Give me the line size I'll send u that too.

The small black is 1/4in.

Fratto
12-07-2019, 07:44 PM
Joe thank you very much for recommending the Parker fittings. I picked some up and some line from my local Parker dealer and you’re right those fittings are really robust.

Thanks again. If you’re ever in Dallas Fort Worth let me know I’ll buy your beer

Joe Camper
12-08-2019, 05:26 AM
Ill be back in Texas and Oklahoma in March and April.

Flower Mound and Boyde r gonna be the 2 buses closest to u.

Fratto
12-09-2019, 09:37 AM
Looking forward to it

drivfour
12-11-2019, 05:32 PM
What's the best source for the Parker fittings?

Joe Camper
12-11-2019, 07:20 PM
If u haven't been able to pin down a local supplier I can give u mine. I put phone orders and they ship to me everywhere. Even when shipping is involved prices r good.

Precision Hose
Lansing Il
708 474 4466

MDIGUY
02-02-2020, 08:45 AM
If u call me I'll go through exactly what u need in terms of sizes and I'll send u the group and they will all be parker.

If u r unsure of sizes u can text me pictures.

Get a list started. Let me help u.

Absolutely do not buy anything but parker.

Some of the stuff in home Depot and Lowe's r flat out chincy. Fleetpride in OK City recently put some "parker type" Chinese stuff in my hands. In the past they sold parker dont know if it was a local phenomenon or not.

When buying a fitting if it is not marked multiple times with a p.p.p.And parker dont put it on your bus.

The Chinese look alike squeal like a pig tightening up some dont ever seal and I've snapped one trying to tighten away bubbles. I have never snapped a parker ever.

That line, any of them, in the engine room get HOT. Lots of times they put braided steel line in there. Use the same that's used on the rest of the bus and anything in the engine bay if not braided covering it with black plastic wire loom protector to insulate it some.

Give me the line size I'll send u that too.

The small black is 1/4in.

Joe,,

I need help fixing my air system, been looking around for best fittings and hose to use and found this post,

Question, Did anyone ever create a list for air system fittings and hose sizes ? where to purchase, Etc ??

Also found lots of info on making your own leak detector found a lot of people saying they make their own, but no recipes ?

Rick

Joe Camper
02-02-2020, 01:35 PM
U want a rundown of the suspension fittings specifically?This is what I was refering to.

If u r after brake tank or aux air issues that is not something I can just put an order togeather in advance on.

Let me give u some common leak points for chassis.

The parking brake button both out the stem and at the fittings both.

Open the dash lid and check the fittings at the gauges

The seat both above and below the floor.

The black 1/4 in signal lines to 2 of the 4 above the rear suspension brake relays. On an h u can listen and sniff those by pulling 1 or 2 house batteries over the drives. They r push in fittings.

The push ins coming off the brake pedal valve under the drivers seat.

Air tank drains.

Aux is more Liberty specific but check the stems of the ride height valves where the arm mounts up. If it leaks there with key off that's chassis aux air leaking.

I use amprobe Amazon has it. Takes practice and it's not a do all end all. I also listen and paint dawn dish soap straight with a small artists brush.

My supplier is Precision Hose
Lansing Il

Tell me if u r doing the suspension I can put an order togeather for u.

Good luck.