PDA

View Full Version : Installing an exhaust fan?

drgreg.sa@gmail.com
11-10-2019, 09:14 PM
Has anyone installed an exhaust fan in the roof of a coach? I've purchased a 14"x14" exhaust fan. I already have air conditioners in both hatches; so I'm going to cut a new hole for the exhaust fan. This is a 1986 Le Mirage.

Flatbroke
11-11-2019, 02:48 PM
One thing you need to be cautious of is putting the proper framing in. Meaning connecting fan framing to existing roof bows in coach. If you do not, you take the risk of new fan vibrating from road abuse over the years and causing cracks in roof. I have seen it happen.

Gil_J
11-12-2019, 08:39 AM
Make you know where the structural members are before you cut. The parts manual helps show where the structure is.

Joe Camper
11-12-2019, 09:23 AM
It's an 86. The rivit lines that's were u go. If it's just a roof vent and not an AC U could put it anywhere the spots between the framing will still be more than rigid enough to support it.

drgreg.sa@gmail.com
11-16-2019, 04:24 PM
That's a good point. You say the parts manual has schematic of roof structure?

drgreg.sa@gmail.com
11-16-2019, 04:25 PM
Are you saying the rivets mark the ribs and to put it in between?

drgreg.sa@gmail.com
11-16-2019, 04:29 PM
Still trying to figure out the posting but thanks for input. Yes, it's not ac. So are you saying cut the hole between rivet lines?

Gil_J
11-17-2019, 07:20 AM
Yes the parts manual shows the framework of the chassis. I've never looked for a pre-90s parts manual, so I hope they are there.

Joe is correct that the rivet line shows where side to side structure is. It won't show front to rear structure, if there is any in that area.

Joe Camper
11-17-2019, 09:30 AM
There won't be front to rear structure. I put a roof air on a mid 90s and jumped through hoops to add the additional structure to complete the opening only to remove a converter installed roof air on a later repair to find the converter did not. The ac only relied on the existing framing to carry the weight. That's why I suggest just a vent can probably safely be put anywhere. Wasn't ignoring u didn't see this, sorry.