PDA

View Full Version : Time for new tires

Dthomas9572
07-04-2019, 12:36 PM
Ok, I guess it is time for new tires. My Michelin 315s look brand new, no cracks, good thread BUT 2013s. My plans are to put 2 new on the steers, 4 new on the drive. Question for all, do you think I will be safe with the best older tires on the tag? Or should I put new on the tag as well. My concern is the damage to the rear IF there is a ever a blow out.

Thoughts?

norm45
07-04-2019, 01:19 PM
You are right. The cost to fix the bus versus the coat of new tires.a no brainer. Buy the best tire that you can afford.

Pete
07-04-2019, 07:07 PM
I would check with Michelin, your tires may not be "aged out" yet.

truk4u
07-05-2019, 09:58 AM
Be sure to contact NTCS, you won’t find a tire any cheaper and you pay Michelin just like the Advantage, but less money.

National Tire Concierge Services
Titusville, FL 32780
Wendy Ward - 321-747-3675 - wendy.ward@wardnco.com * David Ward - 321-607-4273 - david.ward@wardnco.com

Gil_J
07-05-2019, 10:26 AM
If you know how your tires have been used, why not trust Michelin that warranties your tires for 7 years? If the coach had a time on the times before you bought it, your decision to replace in advance of the need could be a good one. Someone may have ran those tires sufficiently under inflated that they won't make it to the 7 year warranty period. It's your money and your choice and I certainly understand the safety risks associated with tire blowouts. Personally, I'm going to trust Michelin and run mine 7 years.

Dthomas9572
07-05-2019, 12:05 PM
Gil,

I purchased the coach in late 2018 which means the tires had 5 years before me. Knowing that should I replace the tags also? I know this is just a gut call, but would love your thoughts. Thanks

Gil_J
07-05-2019, 12:44 PM
With 5 years of unknown care. You would certainly have peace of mind replacing them all. The tag tires aren't hard working with respect to weight. They are subject to tremendous side pressures.

I'd probably replace them all. You likely budgeted for them.

Donnie Myers
07-08-2019, 04:51 PM
I am of the different mindset. The last 5 body repairs from blowouts have all been from tires 5 years or less especially with 365's. I am not associated with the tire company and I should keep my mouth shut because of how much work is being generated for my bodyshop, but no way I would run Michelin tires past 5 years unless I was driving them daily and putting at least 20k miles a year. I'm sorry, I don't care what Michelin says. Try out their 7 year warranty after you have been towed off the interstate and there is nothing left for them to inspect! I have witnessed several customers battle with Michelin and one got a new replacement tire but still got the bill for his deductible and loss of use of the coach. This just happened last week, I will not mention his name as he can chime in if he wants to. 5 Year old steer tire. Just left my shop with proper air pressure..

Tires are very cheap insurance...don't cheap out on tires, please!

Gil_J
07-09-2019, 08:53 PM
Donnie,

I think that blowout wins the award for the longest side damage. It looks like it took out all of the bays! Not good. How much time does it take to repair and acquire parts for a job like this?

It does look like a 315.

Donnie Myers
07-10-2019, 12:17 PM
Yes, 315. What's weird, and I have said this before, I have had I think 3 or 4 date code 2015 315's blow. I find that strange. It is in Pensacola and the insurance company is at this very minute sourcing a wrecker service to tow here. The bay doors under the slides we will have to make ourselves as they were originally built by Featherlite. This one will take some time as it ripped out the Cruise Air evap behind the drivers seat and refrigerant lines. It damaged the wiring harness as there is no comms with transmission or engine! I am borderline thinking totaled!!

Joe Camper
07-10-2019, 04:52 PM

I couldn't resist. Zoom in on this.

All you got to do is curb them 315 80s once or twice and they separate enough, any truck tire for that matter. You combine that with these buses with 16 and 17000 pound front axles, 90° Plus outside, 70 mile an hour and that's how a 315 80 with a recent date code goes boom. Any pair of these variables will do it, that's what I think. Stay away from the curbs, very important.

Gil_J
07-10-2019, 05:03 PM
Joe, that looks like a tire that's been sitting in a junkyard for decades!

Joe Camper
07-10-2019, 05:38 PM

Nope, this slide in camper rolled in here on them.

Look at the generator it doesn't have 50 hours on it yet.

Donnie Myers
07-11-2019, 05:49 AM

Nope, this slide in camper rolled in here on them.

Look at the generator it doesn't have 50 hours on it yet.
That's because that particular LP Generac usually won't run long enough to get to 50hrs..lol

Sc17842
07-11-2019, 12:24 PM
My gosh, that poor prevost!!! I’d be so sick!!! Just my .02 I budget for every 5 years, and swap all out regardless of condition. With that being said I have a guy that buys my 5 yr old tires every time, so I get a bit of a discount on my new ones. (he uses my old ones on his farm trucks)

Marks71
07-17-2019, 10:26 PM
Since we're on the subject of blow-outs, does anyone have a POV on Rettroband? I've seen some long threads on other RV forums, but searching on POG yields nothing. Just wondering if it's been discussed and if folks have experience or opinions?

Here's a link

https://autocar-tips.com/tips/Rettroband-A-Revolutionary-Step-For-Rv-Tire-Safety-46246/

Joe Camper
07-18-2019, 06:35 AM
I bet they r doing very good with that product. Is this the same product Donny Myer was referring to in past posts?Never seen it.

Should be standard equipment. Why not??

Canuck Chris
07-18-2019, 09:48 PM
Donnie, thanks for this, wow 365s are blowing out!? Not encouraging at all, whats your thoughts on the 5 that did as for reasons?

Donnie Myers
07-22-2019, 08:46 AM
Donnie, thanks for this, wow 365s are blowing out!? Not encouraging at all, whats your thoughts on the 5 that did as for reasons?
Not sure what to think. But, the coach is pulling into the bay right now. Five year old 315’s with pressure checked religiously. This looks like fun!

Joe Camper
07-22-2019, 09:55 AM
Looks like after it blew it scraped itself down a guardrail or something eh?

Hey Donnie have you ever seen that product similar to Tryon that Marks71 posted in #16, this thread? How about an opinion?

The Australians haul the heaviest loads in the world on their roads. They have massive truck trains and they know and have a lot of experience with very very heavy front ends. Not only will this keep the tire on the rim but it'll keep the rim off the pavement. The only downside is it probably takes a little fuss when you need to change tires or fix a flat might take a minute or two longer.

I don't need them for weight concerns but they might be a good choice for me seeing im going to a 3.08 rear end gear. I'm thinking about trying them.

Gil_J
07-22-2019, 10:28 AM
Even though the tire pressures were checked regularly, I wonder if the actual wheel positions weighed more than the weight being used for determining air pressure. With solid surface floors and personal effects, 315s may not have been adequate or the pressure being used was too little for the actual weight.

Whatever the cause, a sad day for sure for the owners.

Donnie Myers
07-22-2019, 11:15 AM
Even though the tire pressures were checked regularly, I wonder if the actual wheel positions weighed more than the weight being used for determining air pressure. With solid surface floors and personal effects, 315s may not have been adequate or the pressure being used was too little for the actual weight.

Whatever the cause, a sad day for sure for the owners.The customer runs max and requested us to fill with max air as our compressor is capable. I remember when this coach was built new in 02. It has had no upgrades. This is the first blowout. My opinion is something has changed with the XZA line of tires and that’s all I will say on the matter.