PDA

View Full Version : ZipDee Allen Wrench

BadFitter
07-02-2019, 11:58 AM
I remember hearing that on the ZipDee new century box awnings, you can use a 7mm allen (hex key) wrench to manually retract or extend the awnings.

Is 7mm the correct size?

To be used in a drill driver the long straight section of the allen wrench is needed. Do I just cut off the L-shape portion or does someone make an appropriate straight allen wrench?

Is a really long one needed?

I don't need it right now and if I get one and keep it in the bus, I will likely never need it. If I don't have it... that never works out well for me.

Thanks!

GoneCrazy
07-03-2019, 08:03 AM
Les,
You can get sockets with Allen wrench’s made in them. Commonly used for brake work and available at good auto parts stores. Then get a Socket driver adapter for a drill and it will make things much easier.

BadFitter
07-03-2019, 04:14 PM
Thanks, Rocky

I did get on the roof and confirm that the hex key is 7mm. Also a hex key around 6" long will work. I am getting one that I can use my cut off wheel chop saw to modify.

I did find in the Zip Dee instructions a picture of the part number 299800 "Emergency Wheel". I bet my modified hex key will be a cheaper option...

BadFitter
07-05-2019, 06:29 PM
Bought a long 7mm hex key.... Cut off the L-portion, smoothed off the edges and put it in my bus tool box, hoping to never need it. If I do need to manually close an awning, the modified hex key and a drill driver will make the job much quicker.