PDA

View Full Version : Michelin Tires Choices for Prevost

Dthomas9572
06-09-2019, 09:59 AM
Hello,

On the Michelin site there are two 315 tires. X® LINE ENERGY Z COACH (https://www.michelinrvtires.com/tires/selector/#!/info/x-line-energy-z-coach) andX® MULTIWAY 3D XZE (https://www.michelinrvtires.com/tires/selector/#!/info/x-multiway-3d-xze). Does anyone have any input on the difference? I need to start replacing my tires as they are nearly aged out.

Thanks

truxton
06-09-2019, 10:51 AM
Look at the load and pressure ratings on the tires.

The Energy Z has a higher rating for weight and pressure you can carry.

Later
bv

Actually I'm wrong, they had a 295 versus 315 on their chart. When you click on the 315 they are both rated the same, so I don't know.

Gil_J
06-09-2019, 11:00 AM
Bernie, pointed out the critical difference. The X-Line is the tire being used now.

truxton
06-09-2019, 11:03 AM
The charts were set for different tires Gil so when I looked deeper their both the same.

Later
bv

Gil_J
06-09-2019, 11:33 AM
Bernie,

Damn, do we think alike...frightening :-)

Still, unless the Multiway is a new tire, which it may be, I've only seen the X Lines used. This might be a good question to ask Michelin. Maybe the Multiway is a newer and better design.

Dthomas9572
06-09-2019, 11:50 AM
As I compare the tires the x Line energy Z has a tread depth of 17/32 and Multiway is 21/32

Gil_J
06-09-2019, 01:27 PM
I see the key difference. The Multiway is not designated as a long haul tire. That suggests to me the X-Line is the right tire for our applications.

Dthomas9572
06-09-2019, 02:36 PM
Gil,

That is probably right...the Multiway say it has 25% more breaking capacity which would be needed in stop and go traffic

Hoffman
06-10-2019, 06:17 PM
Gil, Could 'not designed as a long haul tire' possibly mean that it's not designed to be retreaded? Of course we don't care about this feature (i assume) as our sidewalls are our limiting factor.

Gil_J
06-10-2019, 07:24 PM
Bus steer tires can not be retreated regardless of tire. It's a DoT restriction.

Dthomas9572
06-15-2019, 07:43 AM
This is what I received from Michelin.

Thank you David for your interest in our brand and our products. Bbth of these tires are excellent long-haul application products. They will provide excellent longevity on the tread and comfortable ride on long distance travels, combined with fuel economy thanks to our low rolling resistance technology.

The X® LINE ENERGY Z COACH will have an advantage over the X® MULTIWAY 3D XZE with a more resistant sidewall. The tire casing allows it to offer maximum protection against impact and abrasion. It also can help with ozone cracking in the long run.

On the other hand, the X® MULTIWAY 3D XZE will offer better breaking performance on all conditions thanks to its siping design and technology, as well as a directional tread design to offer maximum tread wear resistance.

Gil_J
06-15-2019, 08:11 AM
I read more resistant sidewalls to being better for RV applications where most want a softer ride through lower tire pressures.

RV applications aren't high mileage applications. So, the extended treadwear of the Multiway is of no value. The added braking capability sounds great. However, I've never met anyone that has skidded a tire or activated their ABS on any roads not ice covered. So, another feature of questionable value.