PDA

View Full Version : Love Bugs

Gil_J
05-09-2019, 08:47 PM
It's love bug season again in the south.

What works best for getting these nasty things off your windshield and paint?

Pre soaking with diluted fabric softener and a pressure washer works. Still, there has to be something better that's paint safe.

What is your solution?

Joe Camper
05-09-2019, 09:47 PM
A quick spritz of pam cooking spray on chrome and painted surfaces before departure. And whatever u do stay off the wipers if u drive into a swarm.

truk4u
05-10-2019, 08:08 AM
I just had a neighbor give me a love bug removal tip, hydrogen peroxide. Tried it on both cars with a spray bottle, they immediately foam up and come right off with a brush and I followed up with soap and water. Try it Gil, you’ll be amazed.

Gil_J
05-10-2019, 08:45 AM
Tom thanks,

Hydrogen Peroxide makes sense on the bugs. I'll give it a try. I wonder what it's affect is on painted surfaces?

TheGadgetGuru
05-10-2019, 01:18 PM
Both of my cars have a ceramic coating that was applied when they were brought home from the dealership. I've found that as long as I don't wait too long, the bugs wipe away fairly easily without causing any damage.

Speaking of ceramic coatings, I had my Jeep toad treated and the ceramic allows it to stay fairly clean...even after spending multiple days being pulled behind the bus.

truk4u
05-10-2019, 06:55 PM
Lots of Peroxide comments via google for love bugs and I don’t think there is any paint concerns, especially if washed off with soap and water.

BadFitter
05-11-2019, 09:50 AM
NASCAR tear-offs... Someone should offer pre-cut windshield tear-offs then expand the line-up to include the front end below the windshield, and finally the mirrors.

It would be great to get to the campground, pop off the tear-offs, and open a beverage.

Gil_J
05-11-2019, 02:12 PM
Les, it looks like you just created a solution for market that didn't realize it had a problem. When are you shipping? This would be a much better choice than anything I know of for those pesky bugs.

BadFitter
05-12-2019, 09:43 AM
Gil, don't know about the liability of covering the windshield.... Might not do well when a tear-off is installed and it rained... windshield wipers and a tear-off... could be interesting. The rest would be simple with cutouts for the headlights.