PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Transport

JIM KELLER
03-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Anyone have experience with one of the many motorcycle lifts availabe that mount in the bed of pick up trucks ? I currently tow a Jeep Liberty but thinking about a truck so I could also transport my bike to POG III. Concerned a motorcycle lift/rack plus a 750 lb bike might be to much weight for a half ton truck. Any thoughts out there ?

99 Country Coach 45XL

Just Plain Jeff
03-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Gosh I wish we had a pic of our old setup.

Got a piece of about 6" wide aluminum channel and put it in the center of the bed (gate down) with removable bolts. Then used the same stuff for a ramp with two 2x6's for yer feet. Ride 'er up, tie it down and you are ready to rock. You can then store the ramp pieces alongside the bike. I used about six tie-downs, which is more than needed, but, well, y'know....

Jon Wehrenberg
03-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Jim,

At the Liberty rally there were two guys that had bikes in the bed of their pickups.

Both had electric racks that extended out and down until they were sitting level on the ground. When the bike was on them they raised up at the front and then retracted into the bed of the pickup. It was very impressive how easy it was to load and unload. Both were in 1/2 ton trucks.

I got to believe the motorcycle stores would have sources for this stuff.

JIM KELLER
03-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Jeff, Im getting to old to load a bike on a 6 " channel with two ramps for my feet ! But there was a day ! Back when I was immortal. I am looking for a more secure way to transport these days.

Jon, Thanks for the feedback. Im glad to hear both trucks you looked at were 1/2 ton trucks. Im thinking the rack must weigh 200 to 300 lbs. My bike weighs 750 to 800 lbs. My concern is everytime I have looked at these units they require the tailgate to be down so part of the bike weight plus the rack can sit on the tailgate. We all know what happens when you move weight past the rear axel.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Jim,

Both were quad cab short bed and if I recall both had the tailgates off. I'm not real sure of that however.

If you want the tailgate closed a long bed will do it.

You are obviously not thinking big however. The trend is toward tri-axle double deck trailers thirty feet long so you can bring a car, a motorcycle or two, and a golf cart. All have to be painted to match the coach. Just bring lots of hundreds for the overlength citations that you will get if you draw attention to yourself by going faster than 62.5 MPH.

Toy Box can get you set up.

Just Plain Jeff
03-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Don't listen to Jon about motorcycles. He still thinks Indian is in business.

Coupla things: First, Liberty Coach is likely to bring a couple of extra bikes to POG III for the bike-lacking folks.

Secondly, Blue Ox has a set up as you describe: http://www.blueox.us/Carriers/sportloader.htm ("http://www.blueox.us/Carriers/sportloader.htm") The guy at Blue Ox who does the bike stuff is Art Boice, who was the founder of Overbilt.

So.

Toy Box
03-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Thanks much for the referral Jon, but you give us much too much credit. Our trailer is only 28' long.!!!???? We do , however, usually cruise at 68.5 plus or minus 3 or 4 knots.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-08-2007, 07:47 PM
TB,

Notice I never said a word about the kind of cars and other goodies that Jim needs to fill that trailer with. I'll let you tell him about all that will fit in there.

68.5 is a ride on the wild side.

ken&ellen
03-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Jeff, Jon would be correct.....Indian opened a new world headquarters in Charlotte, NC in 2006! Ken & Ellen

Just Plain Jeff
03-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Jon is too busy polishing the inside of the pipes of the old Henderson he has stuck in the back of the grease pit to notice.

http://www.roadcarvin.com/sites/www.roadcarvin.com/files/images/SF021806_henderson.preview.JPG

I think it is located just behind The Bubble Machine.

Um-Ah.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-09-2007, 08:42 AM
You guys are really screwing with my head.

First Mango starts the LED thing, aided and abetted by Anaconda boy. Then Fast Roger steals the Bling Award out from under me by putting polished stainless steel on everything he is ashamed of and needs to cover up.

Next everybody but my pal Lew starts on my case because of my blazing driving speed of 62.5 MPH.

Then JPJ starts taking shots because I don't have stainless steel or titanium hardware in my body. He thinks that because I watch Lawrence Welk and restore old bubble machines in my spare time I cannot appreciate two wheeled body breakers.

Then water boy Tom starts in on greasing U joints. I'm wondering when all this abuse is going to end. I can't hardly concentrate on the Lennon Sisters any more due to the pressure.

But thanks for the support from K&E. At least there is someone trying to make me look a little less demented.

truk4u
03-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Toy,

Here's a link to Rampage: http://motorcycletrailer.com/rampage/

lewpopp
03-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Thanks Jon for considering me as one who believes every thing you do and say. I need all of the friends I can get after pooping on everyone for their bragging on how much Lewbucks they have.

I have found a real old fart that may be coming to Kerrville and he wants to travel at 60. He figured the wind curve on the azmith of the lifter bend would bive many more miles per galloooon. He has a grey beard and a freaky strawberry pony tail. Should I believe him?

He tells me he has an addiction to M&M peanuts, so if he gives me some grief, I'll shove a handfull of them in his mouth.

Haven't received permission from the cardiologist yet, but I have the wifes blessing. UGH, the price of fuel wil make us panhandle along the way. Maybe I can sell off some of the Ace Hardware.

JIM KELLER
03-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Toy,

Here's a link to Rampage: http://motorcycletrailer.com/rampage/

Thanks Tom, Rampage is the unit I was thinking of but couldnt remember the name.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Lew,

Stick with that old hippie. He's help to get you over to POG where you can insult and abuse the turkeys in person.

If he gives you any trouble tell that sweet YOUNG thing he is married to to hit him with her cast.

rfoster
03-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Jon: I see you omitted the chinese tire abuse. I hope they are good 'n round & holding air - like bubbles? Anyway ---

Lew that will be great if you can get that hippy looking guy and his attractive wife to accompany you and Kathy to POG#3.. A lot of abuse is in store and it will be great to have all you guys making contributions and taking on your share!:cool:

Jeff: I need more help in that voting thingy. Mabe check out the hanging chads? Or is that only a South Florida thing?

Just Plain Jeff
03-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Well, the voting thingy.

Y'see, more people go out of Florida feet first than come in that way. So the people working the booths, are well, not young.

They count ballots like this: Ah-one-and-a-two-and-a.... the big dispute is whether the ah, and, a count as votes or not. Then they wind up dancing around in a room filled with bubbles, or so I am told.

Up here in the woods with the Po' Folk, we just make an X and we're done and don't care about anything after that as long as we can have cold deviled ham sandwiches on Wonder Bread at Easter.

Life is good.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-09-2007, 03:42 PM
"........ we just make an X and we're done ........"

Maybe it works that way in New England, but down south we ain't signing our name on the ballots.

Just Plain Jeff
03-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Up to Maine, the X is only used on birth certificates.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Would that be the mother's signature or the father's?

Just Plain Jeff
03-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Yes, that would be correct.