PDA

View Full Version : Hello all in POG - Greetings from the Sooner State

BGLogistics
11-14-2018, 02:32 PM
My wife and I decided awhile back we wanted a coach. Been researching last few months and Prevost is our decided favorite. We have narrowed it down to an XL model due to height of our existing barn. Height limit is 12'. That is header height (rolling steel doors) and also height to bottom of trusses.

Although research indicates XL roof height at 130-131 inches excluding anything mounted on roof, I can't seem to get a definitive answer if this is correct. No roof airs or tall satellite dome are a given. Research also indicates these chassis will lower 4" and raise 4" (approx) below or above normal ride height - which I assume is the 131" measurement. Can a bus be moved in a straight line forward or back while lowered if needed for clearance? Figured I'd ask the experts.

Thanks in advance,
Billy & Lisa Gaines
Piedmont, OK

Joe Camper
11-14-2018, 05:27 PM
In a word, yes. Be a rare bird to have nothing on the roof but I'd think roof vents aren't any taller than the horns.

Now with the convienient portable dishs if it's not on the roof it's very little inconvenience to pull it out of a bay and set it somewhere.

If after getting it through the door u have to leave it dropped a staight axle steer axle will be able to do that without premature failure of upper a arm bushings that r only found on IFS

BGLogistics
11-14-2018, 07:25 PM
Thank you Joe. Prob a rare bird indeed but we've actually found a few. Difficulty is finding everything we need/like in the same vehicle. One will show up eventually. Was the switch to IFS across the board for the 95 (chassis, not coach year), or a running production change?

Ideal coach needs full bus air, Prevost OTR (preferred) but CC version or similiar would be OK if we liked everything else. Without ability to have roof airs I don't think basement/cruise airs for travel would be satisfactory (for us -I like the ability to be cold). I've had many years experience with 8V92TA's and Series 60's. While I like the two strokes (love that sound), when the 60's came out in OTR tractors they were a gigantic leap fwd. That being said I wouldn't walk away from an 8V if all else was ideal. Those 8V/6V92's idle smoother than any inline 6 diesel I've been around. I own a 379 Pete with a 3406E CAT, too bad Prevost didn't build any coaches with those - pulls like a freight train.

I've learned alot reading thru the forums here, thanks again for the input!

Joe Camper
11-14-2018, 08:11 PM
There r plenty of mid 90s XL and XLV liberty's with straight axles and they also used cruisair and the roofs have very little on them. Rocky has one. If u can go back to ride height once u r inside, front suspension type would not be a concern.

Straight axles ride just as good, possibly softer when compared to a IFS front end with 365s with 18000lbs or more on it. They r also less complicated and less costly to keep. I do not view a straight axle as a detriment. In a lot of ways it's a plus but not a deal breaker either way unless u have to keep suspension dumped over long periods I do not suggest that.

That vintage could also be a jake brake instead of the trans retarder.

Nothing sounds like a 3406 gettin goin, pulling a hill at 5mph with 80000lb at 900 rpm with little to no throttle. Gettin er all the way up and thru 7th gear direct range, barley seeing 1200rpm along the way. It's cerebral. Cats growl just like they should.

Buses, they just sound like buses. Sosorry

BGLogistics
11-14-2018, 09:36 PM
I'm an old diehard straight axle fan. Got a few 79 Broncos - love that chassis. Between header and first truss is 5', that should accomodate horns, spotlight etc. Thx again!

Dthomas9572
11-15-2018, 06:41 AM
Hello,

I am just down the road in Edmond...I have a 98 Featherlight and have 3 cruise airs. In the hottest months, they keep the coach comfortable. Let me know if you would like to take a look at my coach...

Joe Camper
11-15-2018, 08:02 AM
The change to IFS would be a good question for the Prevo techs this winter at West palm beach.

It happened during the mid 90s if u get my drift. As one general rule the Hs often got the changes first.

For example there r many mid 90s chassis with Rockwell disk steer brake, drum drive brake and knore bremse disc tag all on the same chassis.

Another thing you're going to be surprised to see Prevost used stud piloted hubs and rims for almost a decade after the trucking industry started moving to Hub piloted I work on lots of O2 and O3 buses that still have stud piloted hubs and rims.

This is Pier at work

BGLogistics
11-15-2018, 09:57 AM
Yes absolutely would. Whenever convenient. 405-627-6700 is my # or I can call - just need #.

BGLogistics
11-15-2018, 10:00 AM
I had actually seen a post here regarding the stud piloted wheels, showed a pic of two lug nuts if I remember correctly. Maybe yours?

Gil_J
11-16-2018, 09:23 AM
Low profile roof airs are 9-11" high. So, you'll be okay.

Newer in motion satellite antennas will be a problem. Stationary satellite antennas will be no problem.

I'm not sure why you will be dismissing coaches without Prevost over-the-road air. Yes, it can freeze you out. But dash air and 2 roof airs running off inverters should be adequate.

Dthomas9572
11-16-2018, 09:27 AM
Hello,

My number is 405 503 9857... look forward to visiting with you..

BGLogistics
11-16-2018, 09:59 PM
Gil thx for that info. Initially, didn't dismiss any - had two different sellers measure roof height and both told me wouldn't fit 12' door or bldg. Both were XL's. First guy said I had to have a 14' door to "fit one of these". Second seller said his door was 13' and 12' wouldn't work. That was why I limited search to no roof airs (which from what I read necessitates some form of OTR), no satellite dome, observation deck etc. Don't want to get one home and it not fit. And believe it or not, it has been really difficult - almost next to impossible to get ANYONE - private seller or dealer sales person - to get me ACTUAL EXACT measurements. Most simply never reply back, so I was at least thankful for the two that did.

BGLogistics
11-16-2018, 10:03 PM
Dthomas thank you I will save your number and call in the near future. I'm flying out tomorrow to go look at what appears to be an XL in great shape with next to nothing on the roof. Be back Monday if all goes as planned, I'll post how it goes.

Gil_J
11-17-2018, 08:43 AM
I just looked at the specs. An XL is 136.75" tall over the closed roof hatch, 3" taller if it's entertainer height. Some motorhomes were entertainer height. I don't know how tall the commercial roof hatch is. I'd guess 2".

So, you will have at least 7.25" clearance to the roof hatch height. BTW, the motorhomes don't have the roof hatch. You need 10" minimum for Dometic Penguin roof airs without the option for through the coach drains, another 3/4" with drains.

I'd say a nonentertainer height XL will be approximately 12' 3" minus the height of a roof hatch with roof airs without drains. My gut feel is you won't have to lower the coach by more than an inch or two to get it into your garage.

BTW, no one is responding to your height request because it's too hard to do without a laser level. The roof has a crown, so it's not as easy as putting a tape up to the side of it.

dale farley
11-17-2018, 06:34 PM
I only have 12 1/2 feet clearance at my door. I had no problems getting in the door with a satellite dome on top of the bus.

BGLogistics
12-08-2018, 08:32 PM
Update - We bought the 1996 XL 40 Marathon conversion I had flown to go see three or more weeks ago. Hadn't posted been crazy busy since then - previously planned trip to Rochester, NY for my inlaws 60th anniversary - then on to NYC for a few days. Left parking garage in Chelsea Manhattan Thursday eve 8:30 pm (Eastern) and pulled in here Friday 9:30 pm (Central), about 1460 miles. Other than fuel, food, coffee etc. had one 2 hour nap. Got lucky with weather, van looks like it's been through an artic blizzard but roads were fine.
Anyway, coach is bought and paid for, we have the assigned title but need to go get it in FL as soon as we can. There was no time to get it home before the NY trip, and I needed to wire a 50 amp plug in barn (done now).
It has 101K miles, Series 60, Prevost bus air, 3 Cruiseairs, 20K turbo generator with 2400+ hrs, solid front axle. Nothing on roof other than a folding tv dish. This coach actually had every box checked as for ideal for what we wanted, and absolutely loved the interior. It was a trade-in at Marathon in FL by someone in OH that wintered in FL. Possibly a member here? It was listed on RVT in Ft. Myers, FL by RV Resources, an affiliate of Southwest Luxury Coach Sales (Phoenix, AZ) who actually owned it. They are a site sponsor here I believe - thru happenstance I actually spoke to the owner of SW Luxury Coach Sales, Scott Buchannan. He told me it had been a trade-in at Marathon, and they had called him and said "You're gonna want this one". It does appear extremely clean and well cared for - it is absloutely beautiful.
My first question of many more to come I'm sure. What will I need to do to store this thing in an unheated barn? It will be plugged in to power. All ideas/suggestions welcome.

Gil_J
12-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Congrats on your new to you coach.

You have 2 options for winter storage. You can rely on power to keep the water bay and interior temps above freezing. If you can't or don't want to rely on power, you should consider winterizing the water systems.

I would leave one inverter/charger on to maintain the house batteries. Keep the inverter mode disabled, if that's an option with your inverter. Keep the generator autostart off given the coach is indoors. Better yet, turn of or disconnect the generator start battery. Keep the chassis battery charger on if it has one and it's a smart charger.

Although not required, if you have jack stands you might consider supporting the coach on jack stands. This will take weight off the tires and you won't be bothered with the coach leaning or sagging.

BGLogistics
12-08-2018, 09:12 PM
I would rather rely on power if that is sufficient. I have a lot to learn as far as inverters/settings and what they do/don't charge etc. I can't ask an intelligent question about any of that until I get hands on. Given that......... would the generator start even tho coach is on shore power? I know there are two inverters but nothing beyond that. Would those not keep the house/chassis/generator batteries charged automatically? Or is that all coach/converter specific?

And I do have some 6 ton jack stands, those may not be sufficient.

Gil_J
12-09-2018, 07:45 AM
The should only start if the AGS is engaged and the house batteries get depleted. Given it's a Liberty, it may have a Watchdog controller for its AGS.

You'll have to check on whether the chassis and generator batteries have anything that keeps them charged when the coach is off. If you have a chassis battery charger it may be a single stage charger. If so, you should replace it.

Keep your water bay heater on. You likely have a bay heater in the electronics bay too. Electrons don't care about cold and electronics prefer cold. I would not use that heater.

BGLogistics
12-09-2018, 08:52 AM
Gil thx for replies. It is one of the not so common (apparently) Marathon conversions with bus air, not Liberty.

Joe Camper
12-09-2018, 09:13 AM
Congradulations. My first impressions r u will be a great stuart and happy camper.

Gill, what was that we were recently talking about regarding jake brake chassis?? Max jake only triggers 4 of 6 cylinders, is that what u mentioned?

Gil_J
12-09-2018, 09:19 AM
Gotcha. Is your OTR air Marathon's or Prevost's. Both Marathon and Country Coach had their own OTR air for a few years.

Gil_J
12-09-2018, 09:24 AM
Joe, correct. I forget what year I looked at. It's low was 2 cylinders and high was 4 cylinders. I wonder if there is a reason why 6 cylinders should not be used? 4 and 6 would make more sense to me. Low is worthless in every coach I've driven.

BGLogistics
12-09-2018, 10:39 AM
Gil it is Prevost's. Has the BIG United Technologies (Carrier?) compressor lower curbside. I've only come across three Marathon's from this era for sale that had it. What I DIDN'T see was a smaller compressor anywhere for dash air. Does it just use the bus air system?

BGLogistics
12-09-2018, 10:41 AM
And Joe I hope your first impressions are correct!

BGLogistics
12-09-2018, 10:58 AM
Pics hopefully

Joe Camper
12-09-2018, 12:02 PM
Yes Bill only 1 compressor, but it's the macdaddy. All your trucker friends will be envious.

So u got an XLV Marathon with OTR AC with a straight axle and a jake brake instead of the trans brake. That's all good stuff. Lots of upgrade options for the ECM for the early ones too.

If u r in the cold up north with it run the hvac on the a/c side and turn the thermostat to desired temp, it will work better and be more comfortable.

U only have control of 1 duct the one that comes out at the right side of the throttle at the floor. U can open and close that. Everything else is open with no blend doors for dash or floor.

1 other thing go to the center of the front bumper and the ledge of the bus above it facing down. Feel there with your hand there is a grate. There is a blend door there it is for recirculating or letting in outside air. All the fuzz and foam deteriorates away from the blend door and it leaks like a screen door on a submarine. So regardless of whether it's cold out or it's hot out you should repair that blend door but until you do cover the grate up and your HVAC for the dash and the cockpit will perform way better.

Gil_J
12-09-2018, 12:13 PM
Looking good!

BGLogistics
12-09-2018, 12:41 PM
Thx and Thank you Joe for that info. I will check grate behind bumper and cover. And I'm hoping NOT to spend much time in the "cold up north", but I'm guessing that runs the a/c and dehumidifies.

Joe Camper
12-09-2018, 01:29 PM
It's not behind it it's above it, in the middle facing towards the ground.

Looking at the pics u have the manual adjuster for the serpentine belt. That's obsolete now. There r pieces for it above and beyond the bearing that go and all that's left of them is new old stock. Take care of it. The auto tensioner is aprox 1500 lew bucks could have been more my memory isint a$ good when I'm spending someone else's money.

BGLogistics
12-09-2018, 03:18 PM
Joe is the manual adjuster a Detroit Diesel part or Prevost specific, and any idea on NOS price? I've always been a parts hoarder anyway.

Gil_J
12-09-2018, 03:25 PM
Yep, the auto tensioner kit is pricey. Keep an eye on eBay. I've seen new ones for as little as $600. The kirby will allow you to added the alternator vent. I see your 90 degree gear drive doesn't have a vent line either. Easy and cheap add.

BGLogistics
12-09-2018, 03:34 PM
Are these gear-drive and alternator "vents" simply ducting for cooling airflow? Or something else?

Gil_J
12-09-2018, 03:51 PM
The alternator vent is to reduce the pressure on the front seal in some situations. The gear case vent is to reduce the blow by that comes out of the dip stick tube.

BGLogistics
12-09-2018, 05:28 PM
OK I get that. A lot like a vent on a drive axle or auto trans case on a vehicle. I sure have a lot to learn. Gonna be fun tho!

Prodriver
12-09-2018, 11:39 PM
I would get a used auto tensioner, lots around. Also as mentioned earlier there is a Kit from Detroit Diesel to go from DDEC2 to DDEC 3.

BGLogistics
12-10-2018, 06:02 AM
I will look into those things once it's home. For some reason I was thinking it was a DDEC 3 but not sure where I came up with that. Thx.

Gil_J
12-10-2018, 08:11 AM
A 95 shell should have a DDEC-III. The DDEC-IV was introduced in 97.

BGLogistics
12-10-2018, 06:04 PM
As you already know it's titled as a 96 but it is a 95 Prevost shell.

BGLogistics
12-20-2018, 09:40 AM
Hello again - just got home from FL yesterday with our bus. It looked beautiful when we left, after rain in TX and OK it is covered in road grime now. Needs a bath for sure. Dealer in Ft Myers had set us up for an orientation in Clearwater with a guy that was a service manager for Marathon in the early to late 90's. He knew this bus inside and out - had a shop/conversion facility where we parked, hooked up, stayed overnight and probably got the best quick tutorial/PDI possible anywhere for this bus. He even remembered seeing it long ago.

Series 60 engine temp on the trip home stayed in the 205-210 range with HIGH FAN off. Oil temp was 200 (based on guages). With HIGH FAN on, both were closer to 185-190. Which I would think would be more appropriate? Thoughts on this appreciated.

Gil_J
12-20-2018, 10:04 AM
I have to assume that was Rick May. He's likely the most knowledgeable conversion guy out there. Too bad you didn't get an orientation when you bought it. I know many don't as I'm called upon later to provide confidence training and a once over on newly purchased coaches.

Your temperatures seem normal. Here's the specs right out of the Prevost manual.

BGLogistics
12-20-2018, 11:40 AM
Yes Gil it was Rick May. Great guy extremely helpful. Dealer rep in FL wasn't at all familiar with Prevost, admittedly so and set up the orientation with Rick, which I was very thankful for.

Those temps are just higher than what I remember Series 60's running in class 8 trucks. Any drawback to leaving HIGH FAN on other than maybe a little more fuel consumption and I'm guessing more stress on the fan drive. Or completely unnecessary?

Gil_J
12-20-2018, 10:48 PM
Leaving the fan on high won't hurt a thing other than your fuel mileage, with one exception. You wouldn't want the fan to come on immediately after the engine starts, unless your belts stay tight. Also, once it warms up outside this is a moot point if you have Prevost dash air. With dash air on the fan (in most years) will go to high after a timer expires. If you have a transmission retarder you can expect the engine to run a bit hotter.

BGLogistics
12-21-2018, 08:54 AM
OK thank you. No dash air. Bus air only. Jacobs brake no trans retarder. Belts DONT stay tight. Bus front axle will squat sitting overnight, followed by tag lifting and rear squatting by 24 hrs. Air leak somewhere- at least it’s even side to side. Thx for replies. Would it be better to post mechanical questions in appropriate forum categories?

Gil_J
12-21-2018, 09:47 PM
Billy, it helps to keep each thread focused on one subject. You might want to get with Joe and have him put you on his list next time he's out your way.

Joe Camper
12-22-2018, 05:43 AM

Ahhhhhhh!!!

BGLogistics
12-22-2018, 02:44 PM
Joe - would you put me on your list next time you are this way?

Joe Camper
12-22-2018, 03:31 PM
I'll be in Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas second half of April and probably the entire month of May. My number is in my POG signature and I'd be excited to here from u.

BGLogistics
12-22-2018, 10:02 PM
Got it - you definitely will thx.

BGLogistics
01-21-2019, 02:22 PM
A few 15395153971539815399pics. Hasn’t moved since we brought it home and likely won’t for awhile. It is fully lowered and actually cleared everything. Bottom of trusses and door header are 12' exactly. Light fixtures below that. I should have installed lights on the sides of bottom chord, may move them - wasn't planning on getting a bus :-) First pic I took in FL, for some reason must click attachment to see it.?.

Gil_J
01-21-2019, 05:06 PM
Wow, the paint looks new! Nice.

BGLogistics
01-21-2019, 07:50 PM
Thanks! I asked Rick May about the paint and he said it was original - previous owner(s) apparently took care of it. Wifey had actully done a really good job of polishing it the day I took those.