PDA

View Full Version : just arrived home with my new Liberty XL45

m stuller
02-26-2007, 11:43 PM
WOW, i thought i would never say this but i truly enjoyed my 950 mile drive in my new 2007 Liberty XL45 from south Floridia to Lafayette LA. My 12 year old son became co-piliot, deck hand and electronic wizard in helping me through the two day trip! Most importantly our qualityh time together was the best.
So-i will have many questions and hope you guys came help me out:

-is any one useing a filtered water similiar to the boat industry to avoid dry spots?

-can you store the coach with completely deflated airbags are do you need to keep them partially inflated? I have a rough height issue.

-is it wise to lift the trail axle on all low speed maneurvers around parking lots to avoid draging the rear tires and leave lots of rubber.

-a few seniored guys i spoke to leave their gray water bypass valave open while traveling and not filling thier only disposal tank on board. is this ok?

I would appreicate you guideance?

Matt

Ben
02-27-2007, 03:09 AM
Hi Matt,

Glad to hear you enjoyed your ride home. I was your neighbor when you picked it up.

-Not sure what's available with filtered water. I only drink bottled water... I leave a 2 gallon jug of it in the fridge and only use the fresh water tank for showers, dishes, etc. since you run into such varied quality of water when filling 'er up.

-I've parked my bus for multiple weeks with the air bags deflated. I don't know the long term consiquences though... others will most likely comment on that (Jon?).

-I'd life the Tag axle anytime you make very sharp slow turns like when baking into a parking space. If you forget, then you just leave a bit more ruber behind. You can also raise the tag if you need extra traction on the drive wheels.

-I leave my gray water bypass open the majority of the time, but am very sensitive to my surroundings to make sure it won't piss anyone off. Be sure to add an L pipe to the end and attach a garden hose, so you can control where the run off goes. That way you can use it more often. I mainly use it when parked on gravel, grass, etc where nobody would notice if the ground was wet. If parked in a paved area, then use the garden hose to direct the water to a grassy area nearby and nobody will notice. Using the graywater bypass will allow you to survive much longer without having to fill your tanks... especially if you do laundry. Just make sure the garden hose doesn't get kinked, otherwise it will back up and go into the waste tank as if the bypass was turned off.

Hope that helps.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-27-2007, 07:03 AM
Matt,

Over 17 years of ownership I have parked my coach at the normal ride height, with the bags inflated to fully raise the coach and fully deflated. All have been for extended periods and if there is a problem I have not seen it. I would not recommend moving the coach over uneven terrain, or for any long distance with the bags at either extreme but that concern is more about the stress on the shell and suspension members rather than airbags.

If you need to lower the coach for storage, you do not have to fully deflate the bags because the coach can be lowered to the lowest point and there can still be some pressure in the bags. Just stop deflating the bags as soon as the coach stops dropping. (easier said than done on the rears)

I'm not sure you need to lift the tag on sharp turns. Talk to someone at Prevost THAT ACTUALLY KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT to verify if it has the system that actually dumps tag axle air when the steering wheel it turned sharply in either direction at low speed. On my coach there is an electrical curcuit that is energized when the steering wheel is turned sharply in either direction. That dumps tag axle air and simultaneously energizes an air over hydraulic system that prevents the rear of the bus from dropping when this occurs.

Dumping gray water at anytime is probably not the best idea unless it is specifically allowed. That is just my opinion influenced by two things. Some municipalities specifically prohibit it, and after the "Dave Matthews" incident in Chicago some people may go out of their way to go after anybody dumping waste water, even gray water.

I don't understand the question regarding filtered water.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-27-2007, 07:55 AM
Good to hear from you Matt, Sounds like you had a good trip with your son and the bonding experience. Good stuff!
Good luck with the bus. :)

Jon, I think Matt is refering to the de-ionized water for spotless washing JIM

rmboies
02-27-2007, 08:17 AM
Matt,

Congratulations on your first roadtrip with the new coach. Having your son as co-pilot was certainly a big plus. Please send photos when you get a minute!

Like Jon, we have stored our coach with the airbags inflated and deflated. When you are loading and unloading the coach for roadtrips, I will say the first step up is a killer if the airbags are inflated:D We make it a policy never to run gray water on the ground--just our preferance and some places really frown upon it. We also drink bottled water only and use the fresh tank for everything else.

Enjoy your new wheels, like I even have to tell you that:rolleyes:

merle&louise
02-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Matt,

Congratulations on the new bus. I think that I remember from POG 2 that Kevin Erion had a de-ionized water system in his Marathon, maybe he could give you some info, Kevin?

I'll be coming to Lafayette this coming Friday, let me know if we can get together - I would love to see the bus. I'll call you later today or tonight.

Sting
02-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Congrats Matt! I know you are loving it. Cant wait to talk "bus talk" at lunch. Give me a hollar.

MangoMike
02-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Matt,

Congratulations on the new bus! I'll bet you can't stop smiling, plus repeated trips to the bus barn "just to check things out".

I wouldn't advise having your grey valve open while traveling down the highway. Too many people with cell phones and time to kill.

Mike

mike kerley
02-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Matt,

Congratulations on the new bus. I'm sure its great.

Concerning the water filter (thinking of washing the outside and not spotting the stainless?), we use the Mr. Clean car wash device that has a deionizing filter that does a "pretty good job" of giving us a clean rinse. others have more complex systems, but this little gadget (available just about anywhere) works for me.

I am with Jon, I dont dump gray water on the ground unless I'm parked in a pasture. It is just not a pleasant smell, and certainly not very sanitary. I can remember many years ago, i could drain my gray tank through a vacuum operated valve while driving (worked well for tailgaters) but would not recommend that today.

Sting
02-27-2007, 04:46 PM
This is what I use to wash our coach. When I had the Country Coach it was wonderful, dryed with no spots and did not have to towel dry. It was amazing and well worth the money. Millennium has a built in pressure washer with 100 ft hose using the same principles so I may not need the one I have. But check out this site, it made a believer out of me.www.crspotless.com ("www.crspotless.com")

Jim Skiff
02-27-2007, 05:12 PM
These folks will be at POG III to show off a product similar to what folks have been discussing here.

http://www.invisiblechamois.com/products.htm

Toy Box
02-27-2007, 07:41 PM
We always use a filter known as Wet Spot when filling the tank or especially when washing. Totally [almost] spot free as the name implies. Yes, it's a boat product and available from Boat Owners Warehouse. As for the grey water bypass, mine is almost always open whenever we travel. Obviously, we shouldn't have it open in anyone's parking lot.

Ben
02-27-2007, 07:48 PM
Matt,

Please keep in mind that 90% of the coaches out there (and therefore 90% of the people posting on this site) have two waste tanks, a gray tank for shower/sink waste and a black tank for toilet waste. When anyone mentions "dumping" any kind of tank, they will usually be referring to one of those two tanks. What you're coach has (and most prevosts don't) is a single waste tank and a graywater BYPASS which means the gray water is never stored when it's turned on and sent to the storage tank when it's turned off. That means that the water does not stink... unless your body was really smelly when you showered, or you washed something stinky in your sink.

If you had a graywater tank (which 90% of the coachs out there have... all the non-liberty coaches), then you store the water from the shower/sink and it gets all stinky as it sits in the sun for days on end. Dumping that stuff can really stink. Many people who have this type of setup assume that turning on the graywater bypass on a Liberty is similar to dumping their graytank, which is something completely different in concept since your water would never be stored and allowed to turn fowl.

The Dave Matthews reference is about dumping the black tank, which I'd never do into anything other than a sewer system designed for such waste. Although you could empty that tank via a garden hose through your maserator into a sewer system (like putting the hose past the trap in a toilet).

You will find people with a very wide range of opinions... just use common sense. It's sink water. Would you wash your hands outside using the tap in your water bay? If so, what's different than that and washing your hands in your bathroom with graywater bypass turned on? Not much since the water is just sent through a pipe to the ground and never stored. Just be aware of your surroundings and don't turn it on when people might take offense over it and watch for signs that don't allow for it.

I use my graywater bypass all the time and the guy who was parked next to be at Liberty said the same... and he has a newer XLII with two slides, etc, similar to your setup. He just uses a garden hose to direct the graywater to a grassy area so that nobody when even know that he has the bypass turned on.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-27-2007, 08:25 PM
While I can't disagree with what Ben and George said, I think the Dave Matthews incident has made the public aware of the fact we do have the ability to dump waste. I know of a fellow Prevost owner that used to boast how he would take advantage of rainy travel days and dump his tanks because the spray coming off the tires made it difficult for anybody to realize what he was doing. The fact is that one vigilante with a cell phone can make it difficult for you.

Ben's example of the folks next to him dumping gray water is an example of of the right way to do it. At the Liberty rally we were specifically told it was OK to discharge gray water. But going down the road I have my gray water by-pass, the macerator discharge and the holding tank discharge all capped. I may want to dump on some of the idiots, but that is not the thing to do.

garyde
02-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Hi Matt. I t sounds like a memorable trip for you and your son.
Regarding the by-pass. I don't see where its necessary on most trips where your stopping at a park every day or every other day. I always assumed the bypass would be for dry camping where it was allowed.
I keep my Coach at home with the Air bags down but I usually run the engine and raise the Coach once or twice a month. My feeling is if I am not using the Coach I still want to operate as many systems as possible to keep things from freezing up.
I just finished waxing the coach (Turtle Wax) (Turtle Wax Chrome polish) and I dont have as many spot issues. But I like the idea of deionized water.
Gary

m stuller
02-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Matt,

Congratulations on the new bus. I think that I remember from POG 2 that Kevin Erion had a de-ionized water system in his Marathon, maybe he could give you some info, Kevin?

I'll be coming to Lafayette this coming Friday, let me know if we can get together - I would love to see the bus. I'll call you later today or tonight.
Will be in New Orleans for the day and hope to be back by 4:00. IF you are still around call me at the house. my number is 337-830-0007. Love to chat and show you the new toy!

Matt

m stuller
02-27-2007, 11:24 PM
These folks will be at POG III to show off a product similar to what folks have been discussing here.

http://www.invisiblechamois.com/products.htm
Jim: thanks for the info. I would like to make it up to Kerville but cant spend the week since i am still working for a living, have three small children and trying to save the state of Louisiania. If i go late in the week like thrursday eveinng is that to late and will there be reasonable acomidations for my toy?

Matt

m stuller
02-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Congrats Matt! I know you are loving it. Cant wait to talk "bus talk" at lunch. Give me a hollar.
Sting: Thanks for the call and sorry i was out. Hope to call you tomorrow! Cant wait to hear how the design process is going, you have to be excited. Look foward to lunch we are both in BR

Matt

m stuller
02-27-2007, 11:33 PM
While I can't disagree with what Ben and George said, I think the Dave Matthews incident has made the public aware of the fact we do have the ability to dump waste. I know of a fellow Prevost owner that used to boast how he would take advantage of rainy travel days and dump his tanks because the spray coming off the tires made it difficult for anybody to realize what he was doing. The fact is that one vigilante with a cell phone can make it difficult for you.

Ben's example of the folks next to him dumping gray water is an example of of the right way to do it. At the Liberty rally we were specifically told it was OK to discharge gray water. But going down the road I have my gray water by-pass, the macerator discharge and the holding tank discharge all capped. I may want to dump on some of the idiots, but that is not the thing to do.
Jon: I often think of the boy folks on the boat below the bridge! I agree with you that be sensitive to others is the way to go, always pays dividends.

Matt

m stuller
02-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Matt,

Over 17 years of ownership I have parked my coach at the normal ride height, with the bags inflated to fully raise the coach and fully deflated. All have been for extended periods and if there is a problem I have not seen it. I would not recommend moving the coach over uneven terrain, or for any long distance with the bags at either extreme but that concern is more about the stress on the shell and suspension members rather than airbags.

If you need to lower the coach for storage, you do not have to fully deflate the bags because the coach can be lowered to the lowest point and there can still be some pressure in the bags. Just stop deflating the bags as soon as the coach stops dropping. (easier said than done on the rears)

I'm not sure you need to lift the tag on sharp turns. Talk to someone at Prevost THAT ACTUALLY KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT to verify if it has the system that actually dumps tag axle air when the steering wheel it turned sharply in either direction at low speed. On my coach there is an electrical curcuit that is energized when the steering wheel is turned sharply in either direction. That dumps tag axle air and simultaneously energizes an air over hydraulic system that prevents the rear of the bus from dropping when this occurs.

Dumping gray water at anytime is probably not the best idea unless it is specifically allowed. That is just my opinion influenced by two things. Some municipalities specifically prohibit it, and after the "Dave Matthews" incident in Chicago some people may go out of their way to go after anybody dumping waste water, even gray water.

I don't understand the question regarding filtered water.
Jon: I was talking about spotless water treatements in washing the bus. I have seen many boat owners use a portable water filter that their water hose ties up to. Got some good leads from some of the other members, thanks to all.

Matt

Jim Skiff
02-28-2007, 08:53 AM
Matt,

You are welcome anytime. There was recently a space vacated between JDUB and Truk. That's all I can say.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Sounds like Matt gets a front row seat to watch Tom pour water down Jerry's crack.

One question Tom keeps asking. He said that he aimed several gallons of water down JDUB's butt cleavage, but not a drop hit the ground. He wonders where it went.

This just may top the bling contest.

truk4u
02-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Space vacated between truk and jdub? I'm lost, what's up with that? Maybe too much sun on the hog today, but Dale is the MAN....:D