PDA

View Full Version : Storage?

Just Plain Jeff
02-25-2007, 07:36 AM
We're going to be, after POG III, since everyone is going, at a time of the year when some people will either storing or perhaps using their rigs less or differently than in the winter months.

The purpose of this posting is to gather some thoughts about storage.

We pretty much beat the idea of a cover to death, but I think there are other considerations about storage and I'll start out with a few thoughts of my own, some of which are probably wrong, but we'll see.

1. If I were to store our camper, I'd empty out the fresh water and waste tank.

2. We'd want to park it on either concrete or asphalt; not gravel or dirt as condensation and water would be under the bus, causing rust on exposed metal parts.

3. An RV port would be good, as the sun would be off the coach in general, but still get some good circulation.

4. If possible, keeping a vent or something open so that mold or stale air wouldn't accumulate in the coach, like a boat in storage.

5. Some kind of trickle charger might be an idea, but I really don't know anything about electricity, so maybe that's a bad idea.

6. Seems like air conditioning may be better for people than for buses. A very dry environment may not make happy rubber (bags, hoses and such).

7. Take out all food stuffs and anything attractive to furry friends.

8. Avoid storage where #7 critters exist. Recently learned that a guy had massive electrical problems in his camper in a short period of time as the meeces chewed off the insulation; so to avoid a barn or proximity to horses or cattle, etc., may be wise.

9. It probably makes sense to keep some inflation pressure in the air bags.

10. Avoid direct sunlight, perhaps leave one A/C on if you have SMX controls and set it on the humidistat setting.

OK.

There are 10 ideas, and people who actually know something about the above may want to add their ideas for the benefit of all?

Jon Wehrenberg
02-25-2007, 04:15 PM
If you are storing the coach for a long period do not go out every few weeks and start the engine. It takes a long time to warm up the mass of the engine, and unless it is completely warmed up to normal temperatures you run the risk of condensation. Also, every engine start creates excessive wear so the fewer the better.

If you insist on running it periodically, at least take it for a drive. Get it completely warm, and best of all your hub seals will love you for driving it. They do not do well on a coach that sits. Either do the valves in the leveling system. They tend to get cranky if they are not also regularly exercised, but you do not need to drive the coach to work the valves.

Don't forget to fire up the Webasto monthly.