PDA

View Full Version : Rusted out airbag support bracket.....

Garynmike
06-11-2018, 02:17 PM
It appears that the right side bracket for the airbag is rusting out and will need repairs.

From what I was told a metal plate welded over the area should be sufficient and am wondering if that is true and is it the best means of dealing with this or should the bracket be removed entirely and a new one installed? Is this the sort of repair that I can take this coach to a local repair facility that works on Prevost and have them do it? I'm really curious to know is this something that is usually seen on a coach from the early 80's? Is this a repair that is so significant that the coach is really "irreparable damaged?"

1 & 2. Showing the damaged area:

The left side was repaired sometime in the past by having a plate welded over the area...

3. Showing the repair made to the left side:

dale farley
06-11-2018, 02:53 PM
Hopefully Joe will see this and respond. He has more under-bus experience than anyone I know of.

Garynmike
06-11-2018, 02:55 PM
I hope Joe responds today... I'm really quite anxious!

Joe Camper
06-11-2018, 03:54 PM
I took a look at your home page amazing interior on that 81. Rust repair like your seeing on that year chassis that was operated in the snow and salt is not unusual.

The size of the repair is dictated by how far out a welder needs to go to get thick enough metal to bond a patch. It is not in a bad spot pull the tires and u r lookin at it.

Total bracket replacement would not be too much more difficult based on the photos if a patch is done well that's totally acceptable.

What does the bottom corner of the engine bay under the radiator look like?

What does the 2 rearward engine mounts on the engine cradle look like.

Is the engine cradle itself jacking away from the frame at all??

Is that bus a automatic or a manual transmission? Please please be a manually shifted bus.

Garynmike
06-11-2018, 04:16 PM
Nope, it's an Allison HT740 transmission.... is that so bad?
I don't have the answers to your questions regarding the other spots and will crawl under and check them out as well.

Joe Camper
06-11-2018, 07:28 PM
The 740 is a great trans. The manual transmissions in the LeMirage r way more fun to drive and I get excited when I come across them.

That's a 96 in wide bus until 84.

The cockpit on the pre 94s r also a step down from the living room like the Hs.

Do u have the Ralph Crandon handle on the dash to open the door?

Garynmike
07-16-2018, 05:33 PM
I just returned from picking up the coach so I can now answer your questions Joe! The easiest is your last - no, we don't have a handle on the dash... but it probably used to since it was converted in 2001.
I'll look under the bus tomorrow to see what I can see! She ran without any issues from Maiden SC all the way to Silver Spring MD except for the fact that I had no A/C since the coach system isn't working and there is no generator to power the roof units. First I want to get the coach A/C working so I can use it on long drives... and then I want to get a generator for when we are parked. Any ideas what is usually the reason the coach A/C system is not functional? I'm hoping you'll say something like "the hoses develop leaks so you should replace them and recharge the system and see if that works" or something simple like that.....

Garynmike
07-27-2018, 07:11 AM
Is it possible to buy the airbag support bracket from Prevost (or whomever made it) and simply cut off the old and weld on the new?
:confused: