PDA

View Full Version : Vanner Battery Equalizer

Jerry Winchester
02-24-2007, 04:56 PM
Okay, I generally understand that this unit allows you to pull 12v power from a 24v system while not creating a charging / discharge imbalance in the system.

And I have gone to the Vanner website and read thru their operating manual. However, I didn't glean from the file why the yellow light on the dash intermittantly comes on and goes out. I niavely thought it came on when the unit was "working" or correcting the imbalance since mine would come on sometimes when the coach was first started, but would eventually go out. And then sometimes it would come on for a while, but it would always go back off.

Any wizard out there that knows whats happening with this thing? I can say the yellow light on the dash is quite annoying at night......

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Okay, I generally understand that this unit allows you to pull 12v power from a 24v system while not creating a charging / discharge imbalance in the system.

And I have gone to the Vanner website and read thru their operating manual. However, I didn't glean from the file why the yellow light on the dash intermittantly comes on and goes out. I niavely thought it came on when the unit was "working" or correcting the imbalance since mine would come on sometimes when the coach was first started, but would eventually go out. And then sometimes it would come on for a while, but it would always go back off.

Any wizard out there that knows whats happening with this thing? I can say the yellow light on the dash is quite annoying at night......

Jerry, From your information. The light serves no useful purpose other than periodically indicating that the Vanner is in fact doing something. It however does not quantify or indicate any value or rate etc. If you did not see the light the unit would function just the same, kind of like colored strobe lights synchronized to the music, you don't need them to enjoy. I think this calls for the BLACK electrical tape! :p JIM

garyde
02-24-2007, 10:01 PM
Jerry, its messing with you.

lewpopp
02-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Jerry,

For night driving, put a band aid over it and say "OUCH"

Lew

MangoMike
02-25-2007, 08:41 AM
No expert here.

But I've had the same problem on the '97. I would have to assume though the light is indicating there's a problem rather than it's just doing it's job.

Mike

Troy Stone
02-25-2007, 09:39 AM
From the take it for what it's worth..If I have the correct yellow light.

On my Marathon I had to replace the chassis Batteries as I was told the light indicated an equalization issue as one of the batteries was weak.

I learned the hard way if the person who helps you do this forgets to install one of the final ground wires to one of the batteries the light really goes off and on..Long story, anyways...

After replacement of the chassis batteries I have had no issue. The Prevost Manual states to turn off the 24V power when the bus is sitting to avoid the equalization issue. I now do this regularly.

So I hope after all the writing, I have the right light! Good Luck.

Why does this really cool spell check not recognize "Prevost"?? How did we miss that one?

Orren Zook
02-25-2007, 10:26 AM

Why does this really cool spell check not recognize "Prevost"?? How did we miss that one?

Maybe it can't speak french......

Jerry Winchester
03-04-2007, 07:40 PM
I think Troy got it right. There was indeed a weak battery and I couldn't leave the coach for a week (even with both disconnects off) without them running down.

As of this afternoon, I have 4 new Interstate group 31 batteries installed and the light shines no more. I was impressed with how Prevost handled the battery "box" in that the rubber / plastic tray that they were in was easily cleanable and the hold downs were pretty slick to take off and reinstall. Whole job took about an hour including cleaning the cables and taking a digital photo just in case I fouled up the wiring. :o

bill&jody
03-04-2007, 09:54 PM
JDUB - you got any rust on those battery drawers?
rust bullet is your firend. rustbullet.com . a little liquid detergent, some rinse water, a coat of rust bullet, all done. no sanding, no chipping, no nothing other than paint it on. problem gone.

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-05-2007, 08:00 AM
Jerry, You can take the tape off now.:D :D JIM:eek:

Jerry Winchester
03-05-2007, 10:16 PM
WWM,

That was the point of the last part of my post. No rust, no corrosion, no nothing. Just a plastic tray to wash out and reinstall.

The before shot.