PDA

View Full Version : 8V92 cash vs S60 finance. Pre purchase inspection questions

flier4life
05-13-2018, 06:55 PM
I've been searching the forums for a specific question and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Maybe you guys can help?

I'm currently looking at an older 1992 Prevost Royale because I could pay cash (69k) and finding financing is very difficult these days (Incredible Bank likes big incomes, Voyager Credit can only do 7 year terms, and major banks won't finance without NADA values--which Prevosts don't have). So my question is, for my very first Prevost, will an older bus (specifically the 8V92 engine) put me under water quicker than financing a newer bus (1997-2000) for 7 years with an S60? That is to say what is better: a Prevost I own and pay for maintenance, or a newer ‘more reliable’ bus and make payments on it with hopefully less maintenance?

If not, what specific questions do I ask the mechanic to check for on the Pre Purchase Inspection on the older bus in order to prevent a major mistake later on down the road??

im trying to stay within an $1800-2000/month budget for everything including insurance, RV sites, and either heavy maintenance or Bus payments with less maintenance.

Thanks,

Vinnie

Gil_J
05-14-2018, 07:35 AM
Be patient and wait for an early series 60 powered coach priced right.

The biggest problem 8V 92 owners are realizing is the lack of qualified technicians. I suspect most 8V owners have a trusted local shop, but may be at loss when traveling. I'm not suggesting there is no support, but rather limited support.

Joe Camper
05-14-2018, 10:10 AM
Have u ever reached out to Voyager rv loans. They r a sponsor here.

I had a bus with an 8v I'm a mechanic I wouldn't buy another one. It was okay for then but I wouldn't buy another one now.

There's been a few mid-90s prevost motor homes that have sold for under a hundred grand that I know of, that had 60 series in them.

dale farley
05-14-2018, 04:09 PM
Vinnie,

In line with what Joe and Gil said, I think you will be glad if you wait for a Series 60 engine. I've had both the 8V and the 60, and there are several significant improvements to the later model XL's.

flier4life
05-19-2018, 03:26 PM
Thank you guys, I'll wait for the S60.

Vinnie