PDA

View Full Version : Sedan Toad

Konkur
01-17-2018, 09:27 PM
Looking for help from anyone who uses a sedan for a toad.

There are a lot of comments on this forum from folks who use jeeps, suvs and trucks for toads but can’t find discussion for sedans. I have a 2015 Ford Taurus with awd that I intend to rig to pull. I would appreciate any suggestions for tow bars and brake controllers from any who have set up similar vehicles.

Thanks
Jay

Denny
01-18-2018, 09:33 AM
Check your car’s manual to see if it can be flat towed. Some AWD cars cannot be flat towed.

Gil_J
01-18-2018, 09:45 AM
Denny's answer is the best. The owners manual will state if it can and any restrictions and procedures to do so, if towable.

FYI, FMCA says it is unless equipped with the 2.0L EcoBoost engine.

Konkur
01-18-2018, 04:21 PM
Owners manual and 4 Ford technicians I spoke with have confirmed that vehicle is 4 down towable. Only restrictions is that Ford recommends starting vehicle every 500 miles and allowing 5 minutes idle while cycling the transmission. I put the cart before the horse on this by buying the car before the bus but did thoroughly investigate prior to purchasing vehicle.

M & G brake systems are not compatible with this model. I have sent an email to Demco today but have not heard back if their system is an option. Was going to look at information for Roadmaster tonight to see what they have. Are there other auxiliary brake systems which I should consider?

Blue Ox makes a standard base plate for my car and towbar attachment leaves the vehicle mostly unaltered which I like but would consider other towbars if better systems are out there.

Thanks
Jay

Gil_J
01-18-2018, 06:19 PM
Air Force One braking system is hands down the best. I'm not a fan of M&G. They extend the brake air control line to the towed. AF1 only extends axillary air. A failure of the air line between coach and towed should not impact active braking lines, even if a minimal impact.

Konkur
01-18-2018, 08:12 PM
Gil,
Thanks for your help. Desco responded that there should be no problems with compatibility for the Air Force one so we will give it a try.

Thanks
Jay