PDA

View Full Version : New member seeking advice

Roy Linzay
01-16-2018, 12:24 PM
My wife Tammy and I purchased a 2000 Featherlite Vantare back in May 17. We love it but I am having a problem with tag axle chain length an would love and welcome any advice.

Joe Camper
01-17-2018, 06:49 AM
What is it that u do not think is correct?

BoaterAl
01-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Adding to Joe Camper's question....
My first thinking is .....is your concern tag axle is not completely raised off the ground ?
AL

Roy Linzay
01-17-2018, 11:40 AM
When coach is at ride height chain is tight the brake chamber that lifts tag and airbag seem to be fighting each other as a matter of fact rod in brake chamber has broken

BoaterAl
01-17-2018, 12:42 PM
We have no idea where "Cheneville" is located.
Getting a brake chamber replaced can be handled without going directly to Prevost. That would also get someone to look at the linkage supporting the tag lift as their might be another problem here....just saying
Most heavy duty truck repair shops can help you with this problem I believe.
AL

Roy Linzay
01-17-2018, 12:51 PM
Cheneyville is in central Louisiana

Joe Camper
01-18-2018, 06:54 AM
Okay you say the brake chamber the push rod and the clevis is broken on the brake chamber. But really that's not a brake chamber that's a number 36 service diaphragm that's being used as a lift chamber. I think I might know what's wrong with you. The post that the leaver rotates on. The lever that has the chain on one side and the pushrod off the lift chamber on the other side. that lever is stuck and that's why the lift chamber push rod is broken off and you don't have any slack on the chain that lever stuck on its post. That lever has a brass bushing on it where the grease fitting is. When it hasn't been greased in a long time what will happen is the brass bushing will stick to the shaft and then the bushing will turn a bit away inside the hole it's pressed into and when it does the hole that the grease is supposed to go through to get to the shaft it gets blocked. So when somebody frees that thing up for you, takes it apart and freeze it up be sure that they drill, remove the grease fitting and redrill the hole because the hole is it lined up anymore because the brass bushing has spun. See if it'll take grease it probably won't take Grease.

Don't ever take your bus to a truck service center unless you absolutely sure they work on Prevo and they work on them frequently. Also you might look in a service manual and it'll tell you just how much slack and inches you should be having in that chain just to make sure if you find that that lever isn't stuck.

Roy Linzay
01-18-2018, 07:18 AM
Thanks Joe Lever moves just fine I don't have access to service manual

Gil_J
01-18-2018, 09:49 AM
Here's a link to the service manual: https://techpub.prevostcar.com/en/download?id=2&type=manuals_operator

Joe Camper
01-18-2018, 08:07 PM
U mentioned that the rod is broken. Well, if the lever is not stuck something else had to brake that rod. Even if the chain length is incorrect u have another problem.

If the clevis pin is frozen in the clevis that could also have possibly caused the rod to bend and break.

Prodriver
01-21-2018, 01:46 AM
I was wondering why when I looked at a seated coach raise the Tag, it comes completely off the ground, but mine does not. I went to a Prevost service center and it cost me 300.00 to find out that all was right with my system and it is weight that prevents the Tag from coming completely off the ground. Apparently

Gil_J
01-21-2018, 07:33 AM
$400 to look at the tag axle operation...ouch. yes the weight if the coach is why it doesn't lift off the ground. Many will barely clear the ground after a few cycling of the air compressor. But no one is going wait that long.

FWIW, unloading the tag is all you need to do, if anything.

GoneCrazy
01-21-2018, 09:36 AM
Mine will come off of the ground about 1” without waiting on compressor to cycle.

BoaterAl
01-21-2018, 10:41 AM
Over many years I've had great service from Prevost. $400 bucks for advice on tag axle lift....what is this all about ?
AL

Joe Camper
01-21-2018, 09:57 PM
If u have a broken push rod on one of the lift chambers what of that?? What about the lift chain having no slack at ride height?

Rocky u got a 40 ftr.

Joe Camper
01-21-2018, 10:07 PM
U all r going to age out the tires long before you wear them out. So keep the tag on the ground and use the rubber and get your money's worth out of them tires, instead of raising the tag, putting all that undo necessary strain and weight on the drive axle. Besides that the bus squats way down and you're using a ton of air when you're going to be using the ton more air to get it level the minute later. But what do I know I'm just a grease monkey.

That chassis is built like a tank you ain't going to hurt anything by leaving the tag on the ground when you turn in tight either.

Never in the trucking industry are you going to see one of a pair of axles on any truck or trailer getting lifted to go around a corner it's only until you create a cluster which is three or more axles do you start picking them up in the trucking world.

Prodriver
01-23-2018, 02:27 AM
I better get the bill, it was at least 300 and some more as I had a light issue looked at as well. Two tech's adds up.