PDA

View Full Version : Roff A/C needed for house application

Jeff Bayley
02-19-2007, 08:44 AM
The house we moved into in Florida has some upstairs patios that were closed in with windows by the previous owner (too many bugs I guess). The roof they put over the enclosure is just alluminum with no shingles or anything. Sturdy enough to walk on, not just a thin thing to keep the rain out but thin enough that I think a roof A/C would work there. I want to Air condition it and make an office there.

I could just buy an RV style roof A/C but thought someone might know of another similar roof top system that is more tailored to a home. Cost may be lower (if it's out there) or output might be a bit more or other considerations. So what I want is a lightweight roof top A/C solution for this room on the house. the vents can drop straight down or this application with no need for any ducting.

ken&ellen
02-19-2007, 08:58 AM
The commercial AC/heating contractor that I shared an office with utilized the RV style AC units on a variety of structures. Small guard shacks, utility buildings, and small storage buildings. The reason was simple, they were typically quiet, used no window space, higher BTU's, and on the roof were they could not be riped out of a window! That said....Target had a 5000 BTU window unit for $59 last season! Pay less....Expect more! Ken

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-19-2007, 11:07 AM
The house we moved into in Florida has some upstairs patios that were closed in with windows by the previous owner (too many bugs I guess). The roof they put over the enclosure is just alluminum with no shingles or anything. Sturdy enough to walk on, not just a thin thing to keep the rain out but thin enough that I think a roof A/C would work there. I want to Air condition it and make an office there.

I could just buy an RV style roof A/C but thought someone might know of another similar roof top system that is more tailored to a home. Cost may be lower (if it's out there) or output might be a bit more or other considerations. So what I want is a lightweight roof top A/C solution for this room on the house. the vents can drop straight down or this application with no need for any ducting.

Jeff, Some additional things to consider are; What is the slope of the roof and how will that affect the A/C,s operation, is it made to run when out of level, When the roof leaks into the space below and you are not home how much damage will be done, Will the Aluminum roof act as a sound board and make you unhappy, Will you be able to get power and switching cables to the roof unit in an aesthetically pleasing way in your home environment?
I do not know if you would ever need heat in your area, but if you do there are combo units that might be right for you. If your walls allow and the glass does not go to the floor there are some nice wall units similar to those used in motel's and hotels.
You might want a HVAC engineer run the heat loss numbers and check the sun load, so you know what size unit is reqd., or have a contractor or two quote you the job picking their brains and then compare that to doing it yourself.

:D :eek: JIM

Jeff Bayley
02-19-2007, 11:15 PM
Thank you both for the replies.

Jim- The alluminum WOULD be likely to resonate I think. I had not thought of that. The windows don't lend themselves to a typical window unit but the hotel style wall unit would work. I have approximately 6" of concrete to hatch into in order to vent the heat but I suppose the hole would not need to be more than ???? 1' square at most. Maybe it just needs a circular size vent like a dryer type vent. ??? I'm clueless on those apps.

If you can point me in the right direction for a supplier for those hotel units, awesome. Don't think I'd find them at Home Depot would I ?

Joe Cannarozzi
02-20-2007, 02:04 AM
Check some of the previous threads on a/c I think there was some of that in them.