PDA

View Full Version : V-Nosed Trailer

uhaneola
11-17-2017, 03:46 PM
Anyone here running a V-nosed trailer? I ordered a 22' Mission V-Nosed aluminum enclosed car hauler to use as a mobile office and a way to haul my Toyota Tacoma 4x4. The V-nose has cabinets installed in the front V and I am going to install a fold down table on the interior wall to use as a desk. I opted for the V-nose to give me space to carry the truck, have cabinets up front, and stay as close as I could to the legal limits here on the west coast. I opted for an additional 12" of interior height so the trailer has 8 feet of interior height (just in case I decide to lift the truck suspension in the future).

I was recently watching a video of a class A RV towing a trailer and noted that as he went into a drive way and then over a speed bump, the top of the trailer tipped in towards the back of the RV a decent amount. This raised a concern for me that the V-nose design may put the leading edge of the trailer close enough to make contact with the back of my coach in a similar situation. If anyone is using a V-nosed trailer and has any input on this I would appreciate it.

Gil_J
11-17-2017, 06:56 PM
If you know the distance from the front of the V and the ball mount and the height of the V above the ball mount, you can figure out the angle required for the trailer to impact the coach. Hopefully, it's not to late to have the upper part of the V sloped back, if necessary.

Good luck,

Joe Camper
11-18-2017, 07:19 AM
It'll have to be such a extreme transition to hit that you'll never encounter that with the bus. If it makes you nervous you can get a receiver that's extended a little bit if that'll make you feel a little bit more comfortable.

What is it in California 65 or 70 feet limit?

GoneCrazy
11-18-2017, 08:39 AM
Most of these coach’s come out with a 10K hitch. One of the signs of a coach that has towed a heavy trailer is stress crack in the rear cap. A 20 K can be installed , however the engine cradle has to be changed out.

uhaneola
11-18-2017, 08:29 PM
If you know the distance from the front of the V and the ball mount and the height of the V above the ball mount, you can figure out the angle required for the trailer to impact the coach. Hopefully, it's not to late to have the upper part of the V sloped back, if necessary.

Good luck,

I'm not sure of the measurements. I didn't think about it until I ordered the trailer. They have options for v-nosed, v-nosed with top slanted back and flat front. I opted for the standard v-nose to maximize storage capacity in the trailer with upper and lower cabinets in the V.

uhaneola
11-18-2017, 08:33 PM
It'll have to be such a extreme transition to hit that you'll never encounter that with the bus. If it makes you nervous you can get a receiver that's extended a little bit if that'll make you feel a little bit more comfortable.

What is it in California 65 or 70 feet limit?

Good to hear. As long as I know it won't hit, I'm not nervous. I can always monitor with the backup cam to see what it's doing the first few times I go through a transition to put my mind at ease. CA is 65 feet.

uhaneola
11-18-2017, 08:49 PM
My coach has a 10K hitch. The trailer I ordered has two 6K torsion axels in a spread design so it has a 12K capacity but I do not intend to load over the 10K limit of the coach. When you mention stress crack in the rear cap, are you referencing the fiberglass cap up top?

I think the only time I would want to mess with changing the engine cradle would be if somewhere in the future, I do an engine swap to an engine capable of running 100% biodiesel. I am in Oregon now and all the diesel is blended. I have to hunt to find diesel with only 5% bio. Most of the truck fueling stops here are running 15% or 20% bio and from what I read from Detroit Diesel, I should exceed 5% with this 60 series. I found the same thing in CA with a lot of 20% bio.

jbchevy3
01-17-2018, 01:42 PM
I pull a 24' V nose Featherlite stacker, which is actually taller than the bus by a little bit, and I have no problems at all with hitting anything, and I use the shortest ball mount available so as not to overload the hitch by putting more leverage on it.