PDA

View Full Version : Weak Link? or over current.... the Stock 300A Isolator failed to the house batteries

KenEhresman
10-08-2017, 11:44 AM
Noticed on the way back from Sante Fe the House Batteries were no longer charging under way. I suspect this is from the new alternator I installed (450A) model vs the stock 270A... Only one side of the isolator is open ( the house battery side) looks like maybe Eaton bought Sure Power... IN any event, I cannot find any specs on this unit other than basic specs... it says 300A so I know I probably over powered the input... but my question is how many amps is each leg rated for? this will be controlled no doubt by the internal diode ratings, but I can't seem to find if each leg is rated at 300A or if like most isolator, each leg is rated at less than input amp rating...

Anyone aware of a 400A-500A unit? been googling but not seeing anything that looks reliable for current ratings continuous usage, as going down the road it could easily pull 300+ amps on the inverters powering stuff...

thanks! please feel free to chime in... Maybe it was just a weak link? and I over powered the house side, which I can easily breaker to limit the current headed down that line.... the cable seems ample size to handle these loads....

Gil_J
10-08-2017, 10:36 PM
Ken,

If you want to exceed 250A install 2 isolators and wire each individually to the house bank. 250A is the practical limit of 4/0 cable, which is the largest you can install. A better question might be, do you really need more than 250A?