PDA

View Full Version : Interstate 95 Virginia and the Carolinas

Joe Camper
06-25-2017, 12:44 AM
I'm just finishing up a Turn and Burn. I went from upstate New York to Lauderdale and back and I just set the brakes I'm in a rest area at the 110 mile marker in Virginia.

My kidneys r killing me and my dog is a real trooper.

This is the worst stretch of road I've had to drive in a decade and I put a lot of miles on. This is more like a wagon trail not an interstate.

It has the ability to take a really tight coach and turn it into a rattletrap. If you're pulling a trailer that's anywhere close to fully laden don't plan on doing the speed limit unless you're willing to risk breaking it.

And be careful on the shoulder in the rest areas because like this guy found out the hard way they're soft.

It will be a cold day in he'll before I spend 1 nickel in any of these states unless it is absolutely nessessary

I've seen better allys in Chicago.

Next time I have to come down through here there's going to be a big premium attached to it or I won't be doing it.

Where do the responsibilities lie for maintaining these interstate highways with the states or with the feds?

Gil_J
06-25-2017, 07:24 AM
Joe, you're right. Southern Virginia's stretch of I-95 is terrible with asphalt patched concrete and pot holes that will swallow a car tire. This is also one of VA's most patrolled stretches of road. Having lived in northern VA for over 25 years, this is just another example of southern VA not getting their fair share of the state's tax revenue.

An alternate route for many is to take I-26 at the SC/GA line to Columbia to I-77 and then I-81. This route isn't smart for everyone, but for those that this works will also avoid DC, Baltimore, and NYC; depending on where you need to cut back over.