PDA

View Full Version : newbe wannabe

Jim_Scoggins
02-14-2007, 03:44 PM
I recognize this question is wide open but I am looking at two specific coaches, both 40' non slide.

1995 Liberty and a 1997 Vantare.

I am interested in your opinions as to the general reliability of those year group coaches and are there any particular issues. I am aware of the good opinion most have about the Liberty reputation but don't know much about Vantare.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Jim Scoggins
04 Bluebird M380

MangoMike
02-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Jim,

I've seen your posts on rv.net.

If you like both equally, I would let price be my guide. With the '97 Vantare coming in under the '95 Liberty.

Price being equal I would definetly go with the Liberty.

As always a strong PDI and homework is in order for both.

Just my 2¢.

Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
02-14-2007, 05:05 PM
If you asked a general question I would be beating the drum for Liberty, but the coaches you asked about are specific. I assume both are equally desirable in terms of appearance, features, and condition.

That puts you in the position of comparing each on a feature by feature basis, and then comparing that to how you intend to use the coaches and your preferences. Those of us that buy used coaches accept the fact we will make some compromises, but there are some things that will irritate you over time, and those tend to be show stoppers.

If the features you want are present on both coaches you are left with evaluating them on the basis of condition, maintenance history, price, etc. For the moment ignore mileage because unless the mileage on either is at an extreme (high or low) it is relatively unimportant. What is critical is to evaluate their condition with as much detail as possible. What do the engine and transmission codes show? How old are the tires, batteries, or other age limited items. Is the documentation complete?

If you have owned a Prevost coach previously you are likely capable of sensing the care each coach has had by looking at the records and overall condition and appearance of the coaches, but if you lack experience, and you are not buying them with a Pre Delivery Inspection or a warranty (such as from an individual), get someone who knows and works on these coaches to do an inspection.

All things being equal....go with Liberty.

garyde
02-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Hi Jim. Welcome to the group. Research,Research,Research. Your at the right place.
One of the problems with buying a Coach is a person does not know what they do not know. In other words , you have to learn as much as you can before you can ask or frame the correct questions. What do you like or know about the 40 foot Conversions that interest you. What are the unknowns you would want to find out more details.