PDA

View Full Version : Under The Bus

JIM KELLER
02-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Often, I want to look and get under the Bus. When I try to roll under it on a creeper for some reason my stomach wont fit ! Trying to slide on the ground is too brutal. How do others accomplish this task ? Is it safe to simply "raise" the bus with the air suspension and slide underneath ? How about building wooden platforms out of sheets of plywood ? There are several things I would like to look at like my generator exhust pipe, evaporator core,etc. So far the only time I get to see underneath is when it is up in the air on a lift at Prevost in Jacksonville, Fl.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Jim,

Do not get under the bus unless you have first insured it is supported, and relying on the airbags is not safe. The chances one will fail the moment you are under the bus is so slight it probably cannot be easily defined, but it is not a risk anyone should take.

I think if you do a search you will find numerous ways to access the underside. Dale J uses steel posts. I use a pit or double jacks or both. Harry has made some beautiful ramps from RR ties. There are others that have posted some great ideas.

The good news is that once you do get under you can literally sit up in the area between the wheels and access anything you need.

If you are intending to do some of your own work this is a perfect opportunity to visit Harbor Freight or Northern Tool and empty your wallet on jacks and other tools that will help you.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Forgot to mention, go to the POG home page and look at the information which includes body support points as well as instructions on various owner performed tasks.

Come to POG III and you will have a lot of help and advice.

MangoMike
02-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Jim,

A bunch of us use these jacks, with a wood blocking backup, just in case the jacks fail.

http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Cool%20Toos/jack.jpg

Info here at Prevoman.Com

http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Cool%20Toos/ToolsPg1.html

Mike

Gary & Peggy Stevens
02-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Mike, don't forget to change the header picture of your bus, on your PrevoMan web site to your new "H".

Just reviewed all of the tools you have online, and saw the Original Mothership picture. You got to update that, dude !

Gary S

JIM KELLER
02-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks guys ! Very nice Tool Candy site you have created Mr. Anderson.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Jim, Do you know you are just over the hill from Roger and I?

Put a lot of Ben Franklins in a very large sack and bring the sack to us. In exchange we will show you how to get under a bus.

JIM KELLER
02-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Jon, Yes, I figured that out just the other day. I have been eyeing your repair facility from the North Carolina side of the Smokey Mountains. We are in Florida at this time but our N.C. home is just off 64 east of Tenn. We are trying to get to POG III in Texas to meet this group. I really want to learn what I have to do to earn one of those coveted and much sought after anal awards !

rfoster
02-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Jim: Welcome - You have to be nominated by the academy.:cool:

Jon Wehrenberg
02-13-2007, 08:09 PM
The Anal Award has been retired. For a while we thought Peter was going to get it after his treatise on factors relating to fuel economy, but he let it slip through his fingers.

If you return to the NC mountains you need to let us ridge runners know. We can add Tom (truk4u) to the mix and if your sack of Ben Franklins is big enough, after we show you how to get under the coach, we will show you how to get back out.

rfoster
02-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Jon- Nominations are arriving weekly. Peter is still on the list. Don't count anyone out yet. To tell the truth he is close to the top., and the fat lady hasn't - won't sing just yet.

Hey this is kinda like running for President - canidates are coming from everywhere/anywhere.

Jim_Scoggins
02-19-2007, 04:39 PM
For a quick slither under the bus a piece of cardboard works great. Throw it away when done.
Still somewhat of a problem for the beer belly challenged.

Regards,
Jim Scoggins
certified wannabe