PDA

View Full Version : In-Motion Satellite Preference

Gil_J
04-17-2017, 12:26 PM
For those with in-motion satellite, do you have DISH or DirecTV? Why did you choose one over the other?

TheGadgetGuru
04-17-2017, 04:43 PM
I have the DirecTV In Motion system as well as HD service on a separate dish/receiver and I chose it as it was already on the bus when I purchased it. So, I guess i didn't actually choose it! I will say that although it's SD, I do like the fact that it finds the satellite fairly quickly and much faster than the HD system.

Pete
04-17-2017, 05:30 PM
I have had Dish for years, mostly because that is what I have at home, so it made sense to just add it to my account. I have the new T4 in motion system from Winegard and couldn't be happier with it. It is much quieter than the older winegard antenna, and faster. For some reason I was under the impression that Direct did not have HD at the time. I am sure I am wrong on that.

GoneCrazy
04-18-2017, 11:57 AM
Direct in motion here. We have Direct at Home and was able to use an extra box from the house.

Joe Camper
04-19-2017, 06:17 AM
Pete u can not get HD in motion with direct. Just when parked.

I like the guide way better on direct and 1 of my favorite channels is not offered on dish...... Velocity

Pete
04-19-2017, 08:28 AM
Joe, I get Velocity on channel 246. It is one of my favorite as well. Where are you hanging your hat these days?

Joe Camper
04-19-2017, 08:35 AM
Well since u asked...... Monday I drove from Chicago to Aboline to Tonys place to PU the bunk for my Peterbilt. Left 9am monday arrived at Tonys 3 30 am Tues morn. Slept 4 hr. Got up loaded the bunk turned around at 8am local Texas time on Tuesday and drove back to Chicago.

2300 miles round trip got back home this morn 2am, 42 hr later. That is what u describe as makin tracks.

travelite
04-19-2017, 08:58 AM
Joe,

Are you bobtailing in that Peterbilt? What's that like?

Joe Camper
04-19-2017, 06:00 PM
Well...... it has no 5th wheel. I think in order to be bobtailin it has to be in a semi tractor with a 5th wheel plate with nothing on it. So no, I'm not bobtailing im stylin. Lol

The camper with all the wheelbase and a single rear axle vs 2, is for sure the best riding pete I've ever drove.

Took the van with a u haul trlr to get the bunk. Athough the pete gets great Mialage this trip was a turn n burn and the van gets better.

dale farley
04-19-2017, 09:20 PM
Joe, Are you going to install the bunk behind your cab?

Pete
04-19-2017, 10:58 PM
Wow! bet you are ready for some shuteye>

travelite
04-20-2017, 04:00 PM
Looks good Joe.

TheGadgetGuru
04-23-2017, 06:20 PM
If this thread gets back on topic, I'm curious to hear the opinions from Dish In Motion users and if they are happy with the HD service. For In Motion, my bus has the DirecTV setup and while I'm finding it reliable, I sure wish it delivered HD programming and had a DVR so that it could record shows while I'm driving. This way I'll never miss an episode of Jerry Springer. Yeah, I was kidding with that one and wanted to see if you're actually reading this!

The other dish on the bus's roof is DirecTV HD with a DVR and because I'm used to using Tivo at home, the features pale in comparison. Also, it seems that I need to do a reset nearly every time I raise the dish in order to get the HD channels to appear. I spoke to DirecTV about this and they didn't seem surprised.

I'll add that I added a Tivo OTA box to the bus and while I'll reserve my opinion until I have more experience with it, I can say that so far, so good. As stated, I'm a fan of Tivo products.

Gil_J
04-23-2017, 07:00 PM
Andy,

I asked this same question to the entertainer community. They ALL seem to chose DirecTV citing reliability. I still don't get it, unless it's what you use at home or DISH's programming doesn't meet someone's preference.

I've installed KVH RV-1 terminals with DirecTV and I was not impressed with SD. Of course, to each their own.