PDA

View Full Version : Image file types??

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Anyone, Are TIFF files usable on this site? Or should I ask, what image file formats are acceptable . :eek: :confused: JIM

MangoMike
02-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Jim,

bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip

are acceptable.

Mike

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-10-2007, 10:42 PM
OK, MIKE. THANKS! JIM :eek: I just scanned some pictures and they came out TIFF. I guess now I have to see why and try to convert them. :mad:

bill&jody
02-10-2007, 11:50 PM
i would expect any file that you can surf to locally on your pc would work just fine. unless our webmaster is blocking uncompressed files due to their size - but i don't think so. tiff files are not compressed - jpeg and gif (et al) are. that means smaller fies with some amount of degradation. "some amount" can range from not/barely noticeable to gross obscurity. for purpose of putting a pic on this forum, complete, uncompressed fidelity isn't reqired or desired - it simply causes long download times in exchange for (probably) unnecessary clarity. really hi quality pics are usually only useful for viewing mango's hired help or bus paint.

do you have some way to convert them? how did you scan the pics? i would imagine the scan software allows you to save the pics in a variety of formats, so you wouldn't need to convert, just save in a diff format.

even if you save in a compressed format, for example jpeg, you may have a choice in the quality of the saved pic. try several versions of diff quality, surf to 'em with IE (or something else - IE isn't the only browser), and see for yourself.

Ray Davis
02-12-2007, 05:16 PM
TIFF files CAN be compressed or uncompressed. But, that's not the issue. By default, most web browsers do not support viewing of TIFF images without specialized plugins. If you want to generically view in a web server, generally images are limited to jpeg, gif and png. A bmp file is "probably" ok, but that for sure isn't compressed, and generally is 256 color only.

Jpeg is probably the most universal format, and easiest to handle.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
02-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Jim,

bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip are acceptable.

Mike

Hey how about Round, Rasp, Rattail and Nail Files ? :p

Gary S

Ray Davis
02-12-2007, 07:05 PM
bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip are acceptable

FYI, the forum software (vBulletin) maintains a list of acceptable file extensions (file types), which it will allow to be uploaded and attached to a thread. That list above is a superset of what is actually viewable, especially as an image.

For example, if a zip file (containing images perhaps), were uploaded, it would be listed with a link to allow the user to download it and open it on their own computer. It would not be "viewable" in any way.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Computer Guys, I have been noticing there is an issue with enclosing a word or several in quote marks. They do not appear as they did previously but are replaced by &quote. This is evidences in posts by several different members. Is there something we are doing incorrectly or is this a malfunction of the software?

Also I am not able to change fonts and font size as I was able previous to POG going to the new server.

Also when entering characters into the title bar if you want them all capital letters, you can not achieve this.

Any comments or Ideas. :confused: JIM

Ray Davis
02-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Jim,

Well, I started out to answer this a different way. I am fairly experienced with the vBulletin software, which runs this forum. There are options to allow or disallow HTML within forum posts. Up till just now, I was under the impression that by default HTML had been disabled in these forums. However, in writing (and previewing) this post, it's clear that right at the moment, HTML is allowed in these posts.

I did run across the situation just yesterday when using the "linking" icon in the reply dialog, that it incorrectly quoted my string, and messed up the link. I did have to go in an manually edit out the offending quot characters in the link.

If the original poster sees that they get something like the quot chars, they are able to edit their own posts, and manually replace those cars with a double quote character, and that will fix that simple problem.

As for fonts and sizes, let me try that:

This is big Arial Text

It seems to me that something has changed. This would have failed yesterday, and now is functioning. Did someone flip the switch to allow HTML in the posts? It's working today.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-13-2007, 02:19 PM
People think these buses are complicated?

I don't have a clue what Ray just said.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Ray, Thanks for your input. This is what I get.

When the font is changed there are added statements.
This is a test "Quote".
It didn't used to be this way. "If it can't be fixed it doesn't matter", just wondered, "WHY"!:D:D JIM

Ray Davis
02-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Jim, I'm not sure why, but it appears you are missing a trailing double-quote char after the name of the font.

IN your post I see
more stuff .....
when it should have the trailing " after the word BOOK.

more stuff .....

Now why that " char is missing I can't explain. It seems to work fine for me. I also went back and looked at other threads, and noticed that I see " in many threads. The best I can guess is that not all forums on this site have been configured to allow HTML chars, and that's why we're seeing ", instead of ".

One thing that definately seems to cause this issue is using the "Preview Post" when making a post. If there is a " character, it will be converted to " by the preview panel. That might be a source of many of the errors.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Ray, Thanks for the opinion. Being less digital than the average urologist I don't have a clue!! :D I usually preview. I'll try a "quote" without the preview and see if there is a difference. JIM

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-14-2007, 05:34 PM
OK, The preview does have an effect in the body of the post but not the title, thats queer! :eek: :)JIM

Ray Davis
02-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Well, at least in any case if you see the " come up, you know you can go back and edit it back out.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-14-2007, 10:38 PM
When I was searching the web for info on VBULLETIN to see if I could find out anything about why I am experiencing the various anomalys that I have commented on recently, I came upon something that I wondered about soon after I had joined P.O.G.. That is; Why were some members Senior and others Junior? Well according to VBULLETIN it has to do with a certain amount of posts which ammount when reached one then automatically moves from junior to senior. :cool: :eek:
JIM :D