PDA

View Full Version : Michelin RV Tire Tech Bulletin

travelite
03-17-2017, 08:12 PM
Folks,

Here's some good stuff by Michelin on tire inspection and replacement intervals, specifically for us RV owners.

Gil_J
03-17-2017, 09:14 PM
More great information. Keep in mind that under inflation is likely the number one cause of early tire failure. If you don't know what your wheel position weights are fully loaded for travel then you don't know what the minimum inflation pressure is. When in doubt, over inflate. No, don't exceed the tire or wheel limits. If you run your tires at a higher than required minimum inflation that's below the tire and wheel limit you will improve tire safety. The down side is your ride comfort may not be as good. Don't worry about wearing out the center tread due to over inflation. I doubt that is even possible given our coach'a weight.

Get your wheel positions weighed. If you can't, get your coach loaded and get your axles weighed. Add 1,000 pounds to that measure to correct for unknow side to side weight differences and look up the minimum required pressure.

FWIW, I won't run a tire at Michelin's minimum pressure. I believe that's 85 psi cold for a 315 and 80 psi for a 365. I recommend adding 10 psi to the minimum tire pressure for safety. This is especially true for tag tires that subjected to extreme lateral forces in a tight turn.