PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Leak

MangoMike
02-10-2007, 02:00 PM
The honeymoon is over:

I found a puddle, in the bus barn, beneath the rear of the engine. At first I thought it was from my friend the Webasto, but further discovery it was located at the base, of what I believe, is the coolant pump.

Before I tried anything I would check in with the POG experts.

thanks

mike

Joe Cannarozzi
02-10-2007, 02:45 PM
You know the routeen, clean it real good and look closer.

They built you a garage over at Church?

Just Plain Jeff
02-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Wrench 'er up MangoDude!

Just before I saw this post, I was going to post this: Visited MangoBus Stock #001 this morning and it is getting rave visits from anxious lookers. No wallet-sixed pics of dead presidents yet.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-10-2007, 03:11 PM
What Joe said.

Could be as simple as a fitting or hose clamp.

In cold weather the coolant hoses may leak. Have the Rev say a little prayer for you tomorrow.

Just Plain Jeff
02-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Oh, haven't I just been waiting for this moment.

Jon wrote on Prevost-stuff discussion board on February 15, 2006:....That comment about a cold leak is BS. If it is right your engine will not drip anything anytime...

BTW: Since MM joined the Prouds, he no longer parks at the Church of Love. He has fancy=dancy inside storage now.

Probably with Formica floors.

truk4u
02-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Cold temps will do it everytime Mango, that's how you find your loose hose clamps and fittings. Snug er up....;)

MangoMike
02-10-2007, 06:16 PM
No hose clamps, but a fitting. I'll try to tighten tomorrow and hopefully it will solve the problem. I lost about 2 qts of coolant. Is this in fact the waterpump? Benefit of a waxed floor as you can see any drops from your coach.

I'll probably be burning in hell shortly as I've left the Church of Love, although I told Pastor Bonner that I would keep him posted on all good campin' spots within a days drive. Too bad he couldn't make POG III as some of you guys need converting (and you know who you are).

Jeff, I need you to hang around the Mothership and make all the appropiate comments to help cement a sale.

Fast Roger,
Your daughter, Lorrie, was in for lunch today. What a babe! I almost offered her CK's job. All I can say is thank God she got her mothers looks.

mm

garyde
02-10-2007, 10:35 PM
The Hose looks like it has a compression male end. If the hose is OK, and the compression end is OK, You may just need to tighten the coupler.
My reserve Coolant tank will set off a warning signal when its below the upper sensor. Did you get a light on your dash?

Jon Wehrenberg
02-11-2007, 08:10 AM
That JPJ must be looking for trouble.

If the coach is right and the clamps are tight it will not leak, warm or cold. But the cold shows up where the clamps need to be re-adjusted. The exact same thing applies to the leans. If you have a problem or one beginning to occur, cold temps will make it show up first.

To give JPJ something to post in a few years I will make the following bold statement.

If everything is correct on your coach it will not drip any fluids or leak any air, but if things are not quite right the problem is likely to be noticed first when temperatures drop.

Save that one for future use Mr. Postman.

ken&ellen
02-11-2007, 07:13 PM
MM, I feel your pain Mike. My Liberty has been problem free until this weekends trip to Atlanta. It was very cold and it seems as though all my Webasto connections started to leak at the same time even though I have been good about the PM on the system. Then I decided to add water to my fresh water tank only to have the electric valve stick in the open position........no water pressure.......no showers....I did a field repair by disconnecting the filler hose and plugging it with a dowel. Then upon my return home the Level Low will not lower the passener side rear!!!!! Thank goodness I am retired cause I got some repairs and replacements in my immediate future. The good news is that the coach ran great on the road! Ken & Ellen

MangoMike
02-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Ken,

We should head over to RV.net and start reading some of the problems those guys are having with their plastic RV'S. We'll feel a lot better. ;)

Gary,
No dash light yet, but it's still showing half a glass in the tank.

Mike

MangoMike
02-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Like a roof leak, things are not what they appear.

It took a wise ol' diesel mechanic at a truck stop to quickly determine that it wasn't the connection that I had spotted, but a loose hose clamp further up the engine that was trickling down to my fitting.

(In fact all the hose clamps on the engine cooling system were loose).

$40 bucks later and one Mango Mike's hat and I was out the door.

mm

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Like a roof leak, things are not what they appear.

It took a wise ol' diesel mechanic at a truck stop to quickly determine that it wasn't the connection that I had spotted, but a loose hose clamp further up the engine that was trickling down to my fitting.

(In fact all the hose clamps on the engine cooling system were loose).

$40 bucks later and one Mango Mike's hat and I was out the door.

mm

Hay Mang. how'd you get off so cheap parts and all? Around here they don't even start talkin at that price!
Joe was right. Clean it up and then start lookin for the fresh stuff.:cool:
:D JIM

MangoMike
02-23-2007, 01:46 PM
First Love's truck stop on I-81 just south of I-66 in Virginia.

Ask for Buster, he'll be the mechanic wearing the Mango's hat.

mm

Joe Cannarozzi
02-23-2007, 02:50 PM
I put the Champion up for sale on Craigs List Chicago. Anybody ever use Craigs List. It's fantastic. A free internet classified service. Huge immediate results. You can repost every day if you choose and they automatically go away after 45 days. Jobs, stuff for sale, realestate just like the classified in the paper, FREE. Its nationwide so just pick a large city close to home, Craigs List, whatever:cool:

I was charging the battery, airing up tires, getting it road worthy:eek: and noticed this dot tire code 268. I think these are 1988 yr cause the 90's decade code has < at the end. 26th week, 88th year. Set of 4 on the rear nubs still on all of them. Great set for rolling stock ONLY. They LOOK bran new, unbelievable.

O/K gearheads-What is a fair price for a 73 440 with a torkflite 727A 36000miles verifiable?
Still in current vehicle and can test drive.
Got a guy comming tomorrow.

Ben
02-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Learned a trick from Scott (one of Liberty's service techs) for locating water leaks on your coach.

If the coach leaks when raining, then turn on your bus air (assuming you have it) and open the bus air bay on the drivers side of the bus. That will pressurize the bus and then you can walk around and test for leaks by spraying soapy water in suspect areas on the exterior. If it bubbles, then you found your leak.

To get even better pressure, seal up the roof vents with tape to really get good pressure.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-23-2007, 03:40 PM
I put the Champion up for sale on Craigs List Chicago.

O/K gearheads-What is a fair price for a 73 440 with a torkflite 727A 36000miles verifiable?
Still in current vehicle and can test drive.
Got a guy comming tomorrow.

JOE, What/who is CHAMPION?

The 440 All I can think of is, Hemmings Motor News for comps.

You ask Roger, but I say NO TEST DRIVES from lookers. Cash on the table and you will demonstrate, only!! :eek: :) JIM

lewpopp
02-23-2007, 10:48 PM
This is the spill chucker Pollice. Jim and Joe didn't use the spill chucker.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-24-2007, 04:47 AM
This is the spill chucker Pollice. Jim and Joe didn't use the spill chucker.

Don't shoot the messenger it's the content that counts. :D JIM