PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a new GPS

Parkers
02-13-2017, 07:35 PM
I am in the market for a new GPS. I tried the new Rand Mcnally Tablet 80 but the speaker sound is really distorted at high volume. Terrible sound quality. I am not that picky but I just couldn't listen to Samantha or whatever her name is screaming "speed warning" in a distorted voice for hours on end. I would appreciate recommendations and comments.

Gil_J
02-13-2017, 08:15 PM
I'll be interested in what others recommend.

I've been using a Rand McNally RV GPS almost since their introduction. It's has been pretty good on directing in the lower 48, Canada, and Alaska. It is getting dated, but still dependable.

I'm curious about your dash cam. It seems limited, unless the camera angle and your preferred GPS are the same. Personally, my GPS resides on the far left side of the dash. BTW, you can change your speed warnings to a higher speed or turn it off. You can also use an external speaker in a better location if that would help. I would love the larger screen. Maybe, you can donate your current one when you buy a new one ;-)

FWIW, a lot of truckers use the Garmin truckers version. You would lose campground data and I'm not sure how good it is on secondary roads. My Rand McNally gives air conditioner warnings even on secondary roads. That's a great feature.

Parkers
02-13-2017, 08:31 PM
GIL we only used the Tablet 80 one time. Everything works fine, pretty much like our old Rand Mcnally RV GPS. The dash cam was a big selling point plus all the other features such as Internet access traffic updates and so on. The sound quality is totally unacceptable. They used a really small speaker that distorts at any setting above mid range. I am taking it back tomorrow. Otherwise I could be really happy with this unit. Just to make sure it wasn't just me, I read several reviews that complained about this issue.

Parkers
02-13-2017, 09:08 PM
The Garmin RV 760 LMT has a 7" screen and has good reviews. Does anyone have experience with this unit?

dale farley
02-13-2017, 11:37 PM
The Garmin 760LMT looks like a very nice unit for RV use and as Phillip says, there are some good reviews on You Tube. I can be purchased (refurbished) for as little as $239.99. https://www.pcnation.com/web/details/3909AA/Garmin-d-and-275-zl-760LMT-Automobile-Portable-GPS-Navigator-Refurbished-Portable-Mountable-010-N1062-02-753759994648?mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=66069860783&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&gclid=CjwKEAiAz4XFBRCW87vj6-28uFMSJAAHeGZbTTHlEyPiB34pJ6pCmvkGyoTA__aN2nvqdpNJ ReYTRxoCWfvw_wcB

Jamie Bradford
02-14-2017, 08:01 AM
My Rand McNally quit working when I put a new update on my iPad a few months ago. I was told that the product was no longer supported??

I installed Copilot and it seems to work well...

Jamie

TheGadgetGuru
02-14-2017, 08:05 AM
I've been using the Garmin 760LMT for four months and overall, I can give it a thumbs up. Setup is fairly easy and of course you can enter the dimensions/weight of your coach. Please note that it's important to load the Garmin App on a computer as it pushes periodic updates. I'll add that keeping the unit updated is a relatively painless process. The display is clear and easy to read in multiple lighting conditions and the audible guidance is clear and the volume levels are variable and easy to understand. One of my favorite features is that when approaching turns or exits when multiple lanes are available, it displays the available lanes in the upper left corner and seems to give you the lane that's best for a motorhome. From my experience, it takes into consideration the next turn when advising the best lane.

The includes suction cup mount that could be better and it includes a very long 12 volt cable. I replaced the cable with a coiled USB and 12 volt adapter to keep things tidy. It can be hard wired to the ignition with an accessory cable.

Gil_J
02-14-2017, 08:57 AM
Garmin is no doubt a leader in GPS navigation systems for all modes of transportation.

I like the route shaping feature and the complex interchange lane position display. I think I'd give serious consideration to the Garmin 770 LMT-S. It has a higher resolution screen than the 760. It looks like the 770 is just hitting the market based on the 3-5 week delay in shipping if ordered directly from Garmin.

I used to use Trailer Life's software program running Silver Leaf and the navigation app on a split screen. Like the Rand McNally app, it went away. I really like the trip planning feature of the Trailer Life software. It made routing off the straight line to sights we wanted to take in almost effortless. I've never looked seriously at the current apps, but I know the truckers give a thumbs up to Co-Pilot for Trucks. If you are considering an app you can try Co-Pilot for Trucks out for free for 30 days.

Parkers
02-28-2017, 08:59 PM
Garmin RV 760 arrived today. Very happy with the features, especially sound quality. Another problem solved thanks to everyone who responded.