PDA

View Full Version : Safe to run Equalize on AGM Battereis?

KenEhresman
02-10-2017, 11:51 PM
per the manual on the SW4024's they say not to run the equalize on anything other than vented batteries... What is common practice on using the Equalize function to restore some battery functionality and life?

Lifeline Batteries....

thx

Gil_J
02-11-2017, 07:32 AM
Ken,

Lifeline's documents do say their batteries can go through conditioning or more commonly called equalization charge.

Personally I'm not an a believer in equalizing AGM batteries. Under normal use and having been on an intelligent charger most if their life, I believe equalizing does little to extend the life of a battery.

Equalizing has risks. All DC powered systems should be disconnected during equalizing due to the equalization voltage of 15.48 or higher if the temperature is below 77 degrees. Many DC powered devices are at or beyond their safe operation voltage at 15.5V.

I set the equalization voltage to float voltage on my Trace 4024 inverter/chargers. I do so because the Trace remote panel makes it too easy for equalization to be selected. For a reason that doesn't make a lot of sense, equalization is on the easily accessed generator menu. Equalization should not be an easily selected option.

KenEhresman
02-12-2017, 05:21 PM
thanks Gil, Good info as usual. Can you or anyone shed light on the serial barcodes on these? I have no idea when they were changed, and am hoping there is a serial number methodology to the mfg date or someway to tell when they were made?

Gil_J
02-12-2017, 07:12 PM
I believe Lifeline uses a single letter followed by a single digit on a round sticker. If so, the letter represents the month and the digit the year. So, C3 would be March 13. They may also use a 2 letter date code. March 13 would be CC where the second letter is the year (1-10).