PDA

View Full Version : Davco Fuel Filter

Gil_J
11-20-2016, 04:40 PM
If anyone is still running engine mounted fuel filters on your series 60, you might want to take a look at this filter on eBay. I bought one (before the price drop), but haven't mounted it yet. I will be removing the engine mounted primary filter and replacing it with this one. Racor was the leader in fuel filtration systems but it looks like Davco OEMs their filter systems to almost all diesel engine manufacturers.

(Click here for eBay listing) (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Davco-Fuel-Pro-382-Filter-With-Heater-Plug-NEW-/252522934110?hash=item3acb8a2f5e:g:7QsAAOSw~oFXK06-&vxp=mtr)

dale farley
11-20-2016, 05:54 PM
Gil, What are the advantages of changing to this type filter? Does it provide that much better filtration?

Gil_J
11-20-2016, 06:34 PM
Dale,

Look at the Davco Web page. The Davco filter system uniquely has the filter bowl on the top of the housing. With the way fuel flows through the filter, you can look at the filter and easily tell when it needs replacement.

The on engine primary filter is available with or without a water seperator and drain. The biggest problem with an on engine water seperator filter is they aren't real effective. The reason is they are in a constant state of vibration from the running engine. The vibration makes it hard to contain any water that may be in the fuel.

Joe Camper
11-20-2016, 08:41 PM
That filter has a bit of a unique normal mode.

When its only half full of fuel and the top half air its good. If completely full with fuel its clogged that always seemed a bit backwards to me.

Gill that's a common filter and easy to service too. Get the wrench if it don't come with it. I'll give it a definite thumbs up.

I'm thinking I've seen both filters used together Gill.

Never thought to be sure to drain engine mounted water seporators prior to start up to keep the bubbles out and the water at the bottom. That's interesting.

Denny
11-20-2016, 09:28 PM
I had this filter installed on my bus by W. W. Williams after they highly recommended it. After having it for several years I highly recommend it also. It is see through and you always know the quality of your filter. When it needs changed it is easy to do. Just drain the fuel to just below the clear dome, remove dome, replace filter and gaskets and reinstall dome. The special wrench helps make the job easier.

Gil_J
11-21-2016, 08:34 PM
Denny,

Did they eliminate both primary and secondary engine mounted filters? Sime newer engines are running with this as their only filter.

Denny
11-21-2016, 08:46 PM
Gil,

Yes, both filters were eliminated. The Davco is the only filter.